Chapter 15: Friends

You returned to Anakin's flagship, The Resolute, after the battle.  The blockade had finally been cleared, and you were all headed home.  You walked around the ship looking for Ahsoka.  You finally found her, looking out the observation deck.  "Hi," you said softly.  She turned around.  "Oh.  Hi (y/n)," she replied.  "Why the long face?  We just won the battle."

She kept looking out the window.  "This was my first mission as Commander, and I failed it.  I lost my whole squadron," she elaborated.  You just kept listening.  "What will Anakin think of me now?  Was all that talk about being about being a Jedi Knight just..."  She then sat down, leaning against the wall.  "...Empty words?"

She couldn't hold back the tears anymore, so you sat down next to her.  "Ahsoka, this is war.  You can't fight a war without losing people."  She wiped the tears from her face.  "Maybe this was a test," you said, causing her sadness to turn to confusion.  "To be a Jedi Knight is to be strong.  The Jedi have to be strong for the people they're protecting.  Maybe... maybe to make it out of situations like this is what it means to be a Knight.  And you're the strongest person I know."

The tears stopped.  There was a moment of silence that felt like hours, before she pulled you into a hug.  "Thank you (y/n).  You're really easy to talk to," she said.  You were startled at first, but quickly melted into the hug.

Ahsoka P.O.V.

"To be a Jedi Knight is to be strong. The Jedi have to be strong for the people they're protecting. Maybe... maybe to make it out of situations like this is what it means to be a Knight. And you're the strongest person I know."

I stopped crying, and looked into (y/n)'s (e/c) eyes.  He was always so kind.  He knew how to talk to people, and always empowered me.  I stared at him for what felt like years, before pulling him into the hug.  "Thank you (y/n). You're really easy to talk to," I said.  What was I thinking?  I don't hug a friend like that.  But the Jedi are forbidden from attachment.

I didn't want the moment to stop.  I wanted to be able to stay in his arms forever, but I knew I couldn't.  I looked up at him, and his face was turning red.  'Is he blushing?' I thought.  We'd known each other since we were 6, and I always felt a connection to him.

~Flashback~

I approached the icy caves of Ilum, preparing to find my Kyber crystal.  There were a few other younglings there.  A Miralian girl, a boy with spiky brown hair, and a boy with (e/c) eyes.  He was a bit taller than all of us and never spoke to anyone.  Master Yoda led us to an opening with giant statues of Jedi.  He let the sunlight through a small hole in the opening, which melted a large wall of ice.

Master Yoda then turned around to speak to the 4 of us.  "The Force made physical, a Jedi is.  Comes great responsibility with that, yes?  Protect others, how does a Jedi, hmm?  Build your own lightsaber, you shall.  But first, harvest your crystal, each one of you must.  The heart of the lightsaber, the crystal is.  Focuses the Force from the Jedi, it does.  If Jedi you are to become, enter the crystal cave, you must.  Trust yourself, trust each other, and succeed, you will.  Once you have found your  crystal, do not remain inside.  As daylight ends, the door will freeze over again, and you will be trapped for one rotation."

We all entered the caves and let the force guide us.  It had been over 3 hours, and I still hadn't found my crystal.  I don't know about the girl or the boy with the spiky hair, but I did run into the one with the (e/c) eyes.  "Hello again," I greeted.  He didn't say anything.  "You still haven't found your crystal either?" I asked, trying to make conversation.  "No."

"Well maybe we can help each other.  I'm Ahsoka."  He just stared at me like I was crazy.  Has no one ever wanted to be friends with him before?  "(y/n)," he finally replied.  We walked for what felt like another hour, when I finally found my crystal.  However, it was in a very small hole that I couldn't reach.  (y/n) and I worked together, and using the force, we were able to pull it out.  I sent him a smile for helping me.

We had to go deeper in the cave to find (y/n)'s, but it was like he knew exactly where it was.  He looked into a large hole, which was filled with frigid water.  "You've got to be kidding me," he complained, putting a hand on his forehead.  He just stood there, looking at it.  "I can't hold my breath for that long," he said to himself.  I knew he wanted to just run away, but there was no other choice.  He jumped into the water, swimming to the bottom.

After 30 seconds he got his crystal but stopped moving.  I knew he must have run out of oxygen, so I followed him into the water and brought him back out.  He was freezing, and I didn't know what to do.  "(y/n)!" I cried.  In a final act of desperation, I slapped him across his face has hard as I could.

He started coughing the water from his face and regained consciousness.  But then he felt his cheek which now had a red mark across it.  "Ow!" he yelled.  "Sorry" was all I could say.  (y/n) then opened his hand to reveal a shimmering white crystal.  "I got it.  Thanks," he told me.  We returned to the ice wall, which was halfway frozen, to see a very happy Master Yoda.  "Ahsoka, (y/n), Barriss, and Caleb, proud of you, I am.  Passed the test, you have."

~End of flashback~

(y/n) and I looked out of the window as we exited hyperspace and arrived the gleaming planet known as Coruscant.  Home.

Your P.O.V.

As the Republic flagship entered the atmosphere, you looked Ahsoka in the eyes, with a serious look on your face.  "Ahsoka... there's something I need to tell you."  She raised her brow.  "I took the trials.  I'm a Jedi Knight."

He face was unreadable.  You couldn't figure out her expression if your life depended on it.  "What?!  I'm so happy for you!"  'Well that was unexpected,' you thought.  "Look at you, 15 and already prepared to have your own Padawan," she beamed.  "You're not mad?" you asked.  "Why would I be mad?  You're gonna kick ass (y/n)."  Your uneasy expression quickly transformed to a smile.