Chapter 22: Lethal Trackdown

You stood in the council chambers.  It was funny how similar it was to the last time you were there.  You were nervous, and every member had a serious look on their face.  "I await my punishment masters," you said, bowing your head.  The council members looked around at each other for what felt like hours.  "That won't be necessary," Obi-Wan finally spoke up. 

"Sometimes, clearer than elders, youth can see.  Disobey direct orders you did, but right you were (y/n)," Yoda added.  "I agree.  After all, we are all just mortal.  Just because you're on the council doesn't mean you make mistakes," Master Plo chimed in.  Just because something is the Jedi way, doesn't mean it's the right way.  An image of the quote from you book flashed in your head.  "Thank you masters," you said, a smile on your face.

"You should go be with your master," Obi-Wan suggested.  You nodded.  A few minutes later, in the medical bay, Anakin and your master sat up from their beds.  "So what are you going to do about this son of Jango Fett?" Anakin asked.  "I am not planning to do anything," Windu responded bluntly.  "This kid destroyed an entire cruiser to get to you and you're just going to let him go?!" Anakin argued.

"Hi," you greeted, walking into the room.  "Oh, (y/n)," your master said.  "If I had a credit for every time someone said that to me I'd be richer than Nute Gunray," you joked.  "So, are you two doing alright?" you asked.  "We're fine (y/n).  We were just caught under a big piece of metal," Anakin reminded you.

Suddenly, the door opened and Rex walked through.  "Sirs, we have a situation.  We received a transmission from the bounty hunters.  They apparently took hostages," he said.

~~~

"Mace Windu, you were lucky to escape.  Your friends here were not so fortunate.  Until you face Boba, these men will be killed, one at a time," said one of the bounty hunters.  She walked up to one of the 91st troopers.  "What's your name?"  Silence.  "Name!" she demanded, kicking him in the stomach  "CT-411," he said wearily.  

"Pathetic.  Boba, do it."

The kid, only about 11 years old, began to tremble.  He couldn't shoot them.  They were his brethren.

"Boba!"

He lowered the blaster, but the woman shot him anyway.  You pounded your hand on the table, and Ahsoka looked at you sympathetically.  "That was Ponds," Anakin said sorrowfully.  "Only two to go, Windu.  Come and find us.  We'll be waiting."

"I'll go," your master suggested.  "I thought you had bigger concerns," Anakin replied.  "That was before we knew hostages were involved," he defended.  "You are too injured to travel, and your presence would only aggravate the boy," Obi-Wan pointed out.  "I shall go, and take (y/n) and Padawan Tano with me," Master Plo spoke up.

You walked through the temple, and headed for the exit.  "Shouldn't we be heading for the last place we knew Boba Fett was spotted?" Ahsoka asked.  "Why head to the one place we know he is not?" Master Plo asked, pulling out a holographic projector.  It showed Boba, a female Palliduvan, the Trandoshan sniper from earlier, and a stout Klatoonian.  "The second person in the hologram is Aurra Sing," he explained.

"Another bounty hunter.  Like his father, Jango Fett," Ahsoka said.  "Yes.  It seems this boy found himself in the care of at least one of Jango's associates."

"So we're looking for friends of Jango Fett, or places where they hang out?" you chimed in.  Master Plo nodded.  And to do that, we must go to the lower levels."

"The underworld."

~~~

You walked up to Uscru District on the lower levels, where you sported your leather jacket once again.  "The data on Jango Fett suggested he frequented this area.  We must be cautious," Plo warned.
Well, I hope we have better luck here.  After going through four bars, Ahsoka was starting to lose her patience.  "This is the fifth scum-bucket drinking hole we've been to!" she complained.

"Yes.  And this time, try to be more subtle," Master Plo suggested.  "What do you mean?" she asked.  "You've adopted many of your master's ways, including a lack of subtlety," Plo explained.  "You've got that right," you joked, earning a glare from Ahsoka.

"Sorry, Master Plo," she apologized.  "Just try to blend in.  Listen.  You may be surprised what people reveal when they have been drinking."  In the bar, there was lots of upbeat music playing, and patrons chattering away.  You tried to focus your mind, and determine where relevant information might be.  All sound was then distorted.  You could only focus in on one conversation, so you went there.

"Florrum?  A buddy of mine was just murdered on Florrum."

"Murder?"

"Yeah, yeah, he was working a big job.  At least, that is what he said.  He was telling me he had some valuable information on a holotransmitter, and then, boom, she shot him.  It must have been some good dirt."

"What's her name?  Hope it's not who I think it is."

"He was working with Aurra Sing.  She is bad news."

"Aurra Sing."  The words echoed through your ears as you spotted a Weequay talking with someone.  "That's her, all right."

"She's the boss's ex.  There's always trouble when she shows up."

"Yeah, that's the one."

You then noticed Ahsoka eavesdropping on their conversation as well.  The only difference was, they spotted her.  "Find something interesting, kid?" the Weequay asked threateningly.  You activated your lightsaber in response.  "As a matter of fact, we did.  Thank you for your help buddy," you said sarcastically.  "Stand down!" Master Plo yelled as most of the people in the bar walked up to you.

"You can't take us all... Jedi," one of them said.  "Would you like to try and prove your theory?" Plo asked.  "Hey, nobody's shooting up my place today!" the bartender cried.  "He's right.  Drinks on the house!" Ahsoka shouted, throwing credits in the air.  "Not very subtle you two."  You simply shrugged your shoulders at the Jedi master's comment.

Master, you were right.  I heard about a murder," Ahsoka explained.  "A murder Aurra Sing recently committed."

"Where?"

"Florrum."

"Well done, little 'Soka," Plo complimented.  "We're off to Florrum."

Wow we're almost to 1K reads already!  Thank you all for reading this story I really appreciate it.  I'm very impressed with how popular it's become over the past two months.  I hope I can keep it interesting for all of you!