Chapter 27: The Citadel

It had been a month now since you had learned of your identity.  You had mostly moved past it but there was still an awkward tension between you and the council.  You were currently preparing for a mission to Lola Sayu to rescue Jedi Master Evan Piell from the Citadel, the most secure Separatist prison in the galaxy.

"Beg your pardon, General, but how do we know Master Piell is still alive?  Rex asked.  "The Separatists won't dare kill Master Piell until they have what they need," Obi-Wan explained.  "He obtained the coordinates of a secret hyperspace lane known as the Nexus Route which travels into the heart of both the Republic and Separatist homeworlds," Master Plo continued.  "They could prove vital in maneuvering our forces deep into remote Separatist sectors.  Or the enemy could use them to slip through our defenses and attack Coruscant.  These hyperspace lanes are of immense interest to both our sides, and could tip the scale of the war to whomever is in possession of them."

"That is all."

"Based on the archive schematics, we've narrowed it down to three possible locations they could be holding him at," you explained, walking out of the briefing room.  "My greatest concern is infiltrating their outer security.  The life-form scanners will not be easy to fool," Obi-Wan pointed out.

"I've got a thought about that," said Anakin, smirking.

"Master!  I'm sorry I'm late.  I just heard about the briefing," Ahsoka apologized.  "We're going to rescue Master Piell, right?"

"You two have much to discuss," Plo said, walking off with Obi-Wan.

"Ahsoka, I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier, but you won't be coming along on this one," Anakin explained.  "Not coming?  But you're breaking into the Citadel!" Ahsoka argued.  "No one's ever done it."

"The Citadel wasn't designed to hold common criminals.  It was created to hold Jedi if any of us lost our way.  It's not a place for Padawans," Anakin warned.  "You're just being protective again.  That's not fair. How am I supposed to learn if you won't let me share the risk?" Ahsoka asked, irritated.

"This isn't a mission for learning.  You either do or die.  And that's not a risk I'm willing to share."  Ahsoka furrowed her eyebrows before pointing to me.  "What about (y/n)?  He's going right?!"  Anakin's face scrunched up like he had just swallowed a lemon.  He looked like Master Yoda.  "Ahsoka, (y/n) is a Jedi Knight.  You're still just a Padawan learner."  Ahsoka said nothing more.  She just stormed off.

"You should go talk to her," Anakin said with a sigh.  "Why me?  You're the master," you argued.  "She doesn't want to speak with me right now.  Plus, we both know she's more comfortable around you."  You threw your hands up in surrender.  "Alright," you said.

You walked around the halls of the Jedi temple, and eventually found her leaning on a blue Jedi fighter.  "Hello there," you said.  "Commander (l/n)," she responded.  "So... I'm gonna take a guess here and say that you're upset," you started.  "That would be correct.  He's just being overly protective again.  I should be the one to decide when and how I'm going to put my life in danger.  Not him!" she complained.

"Well Ahsoka, he is your master," you reminded her.  "I certainly couldn't condone you stowing away on the ship.  I also couldn't tell you that it should be easy since we will all be carbon frozen.  It's not like you could save his life or anything.  That would gain his respect and make him forget you disobeyed a direct order... theoretically of course," you said.  Ahsoka beamed.  "Thank you (y/n)," she said, getting up.  "For what?" you asked with a wink, joining the rest of the group.

"Hey, you wanted to shield us from the life form scanners," Anakin told Obi-Wan.  "Are, uh... we sure this is safe?" Echo asked.  "I wouldn't want to become a wall decoration."

"Try to relax," Obi-Wan said calmly.  "We'll be unfrozen as soon as we arrive."  You all entered the orange circular steaming platforms, and you crossed your arms across your chest as the platform descended, freezing you.

The next thing you remembered was walking out onto rocky soil, the temperature significantly higher.  "Hey Snips," Anakin said, clutching his head.  "Hey master," she replied, stretching her neck.  Anakin's sense then kicked in, and he gave her a glare.  "I must have carbon sickness because I could swear that's Ahsoka," Obi-Wan said, pointing to her.  "Your eyes are fine.  It's Ahsoka's hearing that needs help," Anakin clarified in annoyance.

"Whaaaaaat?  Ahsoka?  What are you doing here?" you asked unconvincingly, giving her a thumbs up.  She responded with a smirk.  "(y/n), did you have something to do with this?" Anakin asked, directing his attention to you.

"Of course not," you responded sarcastically.  "I gave you specific orders not to come," Anakin spat.  "If there's one thing that I've learned from you master, it's that following direct orders isn't always the best way to solve a problem," Ahsoka defended.  "I see Anakin's new teaching method is to... do as I say, not as I do," Obi-Wan teased.  "Welcome aboard," he said.

You all continued walking across the cliff that led to molten lava.  Anakin scoped out the base through his binoculars.  "I see the entry point," he finally said.  "You were right.  The wind conditions are too strong for jetpacks," Cody pointed out.  "Yes.  We'll have to do it the old-fashioned way... with ascension cables and a steel grip," Obi-Wan stated.

"I don't think so."

"What do you mean?"

Anakin took a closer look.  "Electro-mines.  There's nowhere to put a grappling hook at that height.  We hit one of those the mission's over.  They'll know we're here," he explained.  "I suppose that means we free-climb it," Rex chimed in.

~~~

You scaled the rocky surface, careful not to be electrocuted, and careful not to fall off and meet a boiling death.  "You hanging in there Snips?" Anakin asked.  "Couldn't be better!" she shouted over the loud crackling of electricity and raging winds.  "The entry point is just a few more meters," Obi-Wan pointed out.

He was the first to get to the top, but had to hide under the ledge two super battle droids and a droideka came out.  "They locked the door!" he finally yelled.  "It's ray shielded!"  Anakin looked down.  "Ray shielded?" he asked.  "That wasn't the plan!"

"Well it's in the plan now!"

"There's an opening up there!" Ahsoka shouted, looking higher up.  "We know, they're ventilation ducts but  they're far too small for us to gain access," Anakin shot down.  "Too small for you maybe, but I think (y/n) and I could squeeze through!" she explained.  "Well, we hadn't planned on Ahsoka being here," Obi-Wan pointed out.  "And I probably wouldn't have thought of that anyway," you added.  "Perhaps she's right."  Anakin nodded at his Padawan and Ahsoka nodded back.  Then the two of you climbed up into the vents.