Chapter 44: The Drive

As you were walking through the halls of the Jedi Temple, your holocomm beeped and you saw a message from your master.  All it said was: "We have a new mission for you."

You entered the council chambers to see all of its members seated in person.  Whatever this was, it must have been important.  "Greetings, young (l/n)" said Yoda.  "We have a new mission for you," Obi-Wan added.  "Yeah, I know.  I saw the message," you responded with a hint of sarcasm.

"One of our spies in the Confederacy of Independent Systems has uncovered a plot to unveil a secret weapon on the Republic.  The weapon is unknown, but he has stolen the data into a drive and we need you to retrieve it," Master Windu explained.  "Just tell me where," you replied confidently.

"Tatooine."

You turned to leave, but were stopped by your master.  "Oh and one more thing.  The planet is crawling with bounty hunters and smugglers.  Maybe keep a low profile," he advised.

~~~

Beep-Boo-Beep!

"I've never been to Mos Eisley either, but the from way the masters talk about it we may as well be flying into a lava pit," you responded to your droid's remark.  You cloaked your ship and landed on the outskirts rather than in the city.

"I can sense him there.  R8, stay with the ship," you commanded, putting the hood of your white cloak over your head.  You kept walking until you reached a cantina.  You entered and slowly walked to the corner, where you sensed the man's presence.

You sat down on the other side of the table where he slipped you the drive.  "I'm (y/n)... and you are?" you started.  "No time for introductions.  You must get this back to the Republic immediately.  I'm being hunted," he warned.

Suddenly, the door to the entrance opened again, and a commando droid walked through.  All eyes went in your direction as it aimed it's blaster at your face.

Bang!

It fell to the floor with a blaster hole through its head and a Mandalorian was revealed behind it.  He wore brown armor and a silver helmet, with an Amban pulse rifle on his back and an IB-94 blaster holstered to his hip.

"You have something that I want," he said.  You slowly put the drive in your pocket as he looked you square in the face.  "And what would that be?" you asked, trying to keep your cover.  "I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold."

The two of you stood off, sizing each other up.  From his voice you could tell that he was a few years older than you, and most likely a bounty hunter.  The spy suddenly sprung from his seat, and the Mandalorian shot him in the chest.  You quickly kneeled down and put two fingers on his neck.

No pulse.

"Give me the drive," he commanded.  "Damn it all," you sighed, activating your lightsaber.  He drew his blaster and shot at your head.  However, you deflected all the shots back to the floor, and backed him out of the cantina.  "Let's take this outside," you said.  You charged at him but he dodged.  Pedestrians were dashing through the streets trying to run away from the battle.

"Block this," he taunted, aiming his wrist in your direction and spitting fire from his gauntlet.  You quickly flipped back and threw your cloak onto the sandy ground.  You swing at his legs, but he continued backing up.  Then, he shot at you once more with his blaster.  You blocked again and force pulled it out of his hand, causing him to take the rifle from his back.