9

Warning! There is a depiction of an intense panic attack. Please read with caution.

*

Blood pounded violently in her ears as she made her way through the Playground. Her hands shook aggressively by her sides as the thudding of her heart silenced all chatter around her. Nina wasn't crying but God did she want to.

Her throat hurt, stinging more than usual as she could still taste the bile and metallic punch in her mouth from her throwing up blood and the little food she'd consumed not too long ago.

Nina Ramos was having a panic attack and she couldn't control it.

She stumbled through the building, hitting into corners and people her disfigured vision didn't allow her to see in time with no idea how the panic came about. Nina had simply gone to take a shower and gotten dressed after helping Seven clean up the lab, before she found herself struggling to breathe.

Her head was pulsing as phrases forced their way into her mind, she could make out the voices now. Identifying each phrase with a person she'd met the night before as her panic grew in her chest.

Promise me you'll be okay, that you'll come back to me.

Breathing was hard, her chest growing tight as her panting mirrored that of a marathon runner. She felt herself slowly losing her mind as her nails dug into her palms and she longed for the black leather gloves that had been keeping the self-inflicted injures to a minimum.

"Agent Ramos," someone called out as she made her way up the stairs towards Coulson office because as much as she didn't want to be around people right now, she didn't trust herself alone with an arsenal of weapons at her disposal.

You're developing quite the habit, Nina.

The voice that had said called out to her didn't belong to a person she recognised so Nina ignored them, stalking up the stairs and finding herself at the office. She knocked but when she wasn't granted an answer, she swung open the door and stumbled in.

Her hand grabbed the wall to keep herself upright as the door closed and she felt her heart pound against its jail cell that was her rib cage.

It wasn't 8 seconds... I was dead for several days.

The room was empty and Nina immediately grabbed a tablet off the desk to try and locate the director. She struggled to bring up the base's security cameras, her shaking hands proving useless when it came to pressing the correct icons as she soon found herself facing a photo of herself.

It was her file and where Nina could recite most of it from memory already, she was curious. The curiosity seemed to mix with the feeling of impending doom her panic was creating and she clicked on the file.

You're Agent Ramos. Expectations or not, you're incredible.

There was nothing new for the most part. Her name, age and date of birth. There was a list of injures she'd received since joining SHIELD but she didn't dwell on how many there were. There was an immediate family section and she noticed Hunter's name, realising that Coulson must have added it after last night.

When she was about to set down the tablet and focus on reversing her panic attack, Nina came across a video file attached and she made the mistake of clicking it.

Nina wasn't sure what she was expecting but she'd assumed the videos were of her psych evaluations or therapy sessions. She knew that after Cambodia, SHIELD had begun recording them to try and decipher any of her lies and see if she was truly as okay as she said.