22

If there was one thing Nina was really good at, it was getting lost in her head. She could find herself stuck in her internal chaos for hours on end, barely moving an inch as she sat cross-legged on the floor. 

That's what she had been doing when Seven shuffled into the lab. She didn't exactly know what she was focusing on in her head, as contrary to the loudness of her mind before it was eerily quiet now. That's why her eyes snapped open the moment the teenager stepped into the room and she heard his footsteps.

"Miss Nina!" Seven exclaimed with a smile. The blank look on her face instantly melted into a small smile at the sight of him.

Nina wouldn't openly admit it but she'd missed the boy. It's been almost two days since the catastrophe of Puerto Rico and she hadn't seen him at all. It had been May's doing, the older woman knowing Nina wouldn't want the boy to worry about her so she told him to give her some time.

"Hi Sev," she responded brightly, moving closer to the glass as he reached it and sat on the floor opposite her, "it's 3 in the morning, shouldn't you be in bed?"

"I was but Miss May said I could see you later and I was too excited to wait," he responded, crossing his legs. As he did, Nina noticed the book in his hand, "are you feeling okay? Everyone was worried about you and Miss Skye."

"I'm alright, kid. Just a few scratches here and there," Nina responded, making a point to seem as calm as possible when she caught Seven eye the black brace around her knee. She didn't want him to worry about her, so she really hoped her shadow didn't decide to consume her room.

"And Miss Skye?" he asked, looking into the pod beside her. Skye was awake, but much like Nina had been, she was too preoccupied with her thoughts and the thick headphones over her ears to notice his arrival.

"She's alright as well just a little... shaken," Nina decided to say and Seven nodded, turning back to look at her. He looked into Nina's eyes, tilting his head slightly when he noticed the darkness in her usual bright blue eyes.

"Are you sure?" he pressed, confused by the change in the eyes of the woman that saved him.

"I'm sure," she responded, ignoring the disgusted feeling surging through her body at the fact that she was lying to him, "so I'm sure you didn't come here so early just because you were excited to see me. Is there something you wanted?"

"Huh... oh yeah," Seven nodded enthusiastically when he was reminded of what brought him to her, "can I show you something?"

"Sure, I'm not going anywhere," Nina responded, gesturing to her glass cage.

Seven beamed before opening the book he brought to a marked page. Nina watched as he looked down at the page and inhaled sharply before turning it so she could see.

On the page was a picture of a bird. It was a small bird with a fragile form soaring through the air at an impressive height. Words surrounded the picture but due to Nina's current lack of contact lenses and her glasses lying discarded in her bunk, she couldn't make out what they said.

"You're gonna need to read to me, Sev. I don't have the best eyesight," she told him and Seven nodded.

"Fitz gave me this when I first got here. I've read it about six times but I really like this page," Seven started, he pointed to the bird, "they're small and seemingly unamusing but they're smart and strong. They can assert victory over birds much bigger and stronger than them just by thinking quicker and using their own skills."

"I'm not sure I can get you a pet, Sev," Nina said as she saw the ideal look in his eyes, "the Playground is technically meant to be a sterile environment."