12

Coulson stood in his office, holding a knife as he carved patterns into the wall. He'd been at it for a while and his efforts were shown by the sheen of sweat coating his neck and face. The director panted heavily, paying little attention to the music playing, as the tip of the knife broke due to the pressure he was applying.

"Damn it," Coulson shook his head, turning around to replace his equipment but stopping when the music was turned off and he saw Skye standing by the record player, "how long were you standing there?"

"Long enough," the hacker answered and Coulson nodded, "May gave us specific instructions, you go on a date with the crazy wall, I have to chaperone."

"I didn't want to wake you," He responded and Skye gave him a lot, holding out her arms to show him that she was still in her pyjamas.

"Do I look like I've been sleeping?"

"What's keeping you up?" Coulson asked, shrugging slightly and setting down the broken blade. Skye wasn't able to answer the question as the door opened and Nina walked in.

"I come bearing gifts. Coffee and Jack Daniels," the specialist smiled, holding up the bottle of whiskey and the mug of coffee, "I wasn't sure if you were feeling Tony at 11pm vibes or Tony at 2am vibes."

"Why would Tony drink whiskey at 2 in the morning?" Coulson asked and Nina shrugged.

"I stopped questioning why Tony does anything when I was 12. Did wonders for my mental health," was all she said as she set down the bottle and shoved the mug into Coulson's hands. As she turned around she noticed the hacker and waved, "mornin' Skye."

"Er... morning," Skye responded a little flustered by the energy she exuded, "I didn't know you knew about this."

"I didn't. Boss clued me in last week, along with everything else," Nina managed a smile. While she did, Coulson noticed she was also still in her pyjamas meaning that the entire trio was having trouble sleeping, "that reminds me, you're part alien. What's that like?"

Skye seemed a little taken back by the question and the expectant look on Nina's face.

"Nina," Coulson called out and the woman pouted before retracting the question.

"Okay. Alien questions are off-limits. Understandable," she said and gestured to the untouched mug in his hand, "but seriously. Drink."

"You look like you need it more," he said as he watched her rub her eyes and fight back a yawn. Nina just shrugged and responded.

"Probably but I'm not the one with urges caused by Kree blood," Nina smiled innocently, "drink the coffee, boss."

Coulson made an exaggerated show about taking a sip of the coffee before repeating the question he'd asked Skye before Nina entered.

"What's keeping you up?"

"It's all connected, everything. Ward has information about my father, who just happens to have the alien buzzkill device-"

"Alien buzzkill device?" Nina cut in and Coulson quickly explained that it was the 084 that had killed an agent. She nodded, remembering that she'd seen it in one of the files delivered to her bunk and gestured for Skye to continue.

"The alien buzzkill device which is somehow connected to the writing, that is related to the GH serum that is in our blood... like we're pieces to a puzzle."

"Except we don't know what the puzzle is or how the pieces even fit," Coulson added and Nina fought the urge to make a jigsaw puzzle comment, knowing that she wasn't in company that would appreciate the humour.