54

Hey sorry this is so late, my home life sort of went to shit a few weeks ago and I've been working two jobs to save up enough money to move out once I graduate.

It's been tough and I haven't had much time to write but I've got that all sorted out now so I'm back and literally praying nothing pulls me away again.

That aside, here's chapter 54.

*

When Nina had first met Jiaying, she'd been wary. The woman unsettled her, Nina wasn't sure if it was because of the scars on her face or the look in her eyes, but being around Jiaying made her uncomfortable. When Skye had told her that she was Jiaying's daughter, that discomfort only seemed to grow.

Unresolved mommy issues and such.

Nina had felt bad about her feelings towards Skye's mother but her feelings were justified when she entered Coulson's office ahead of her brother and boyfriend, only to find out that Jiaying had orchestrated the whole fight between SHIELD and the inhumans.

"It was a performance," Coulson said cutting the feed of Gordon teleporting onto a quinjet and killing the SHIELD personnel onboard to take over the weapons, "Skye's mother played us. The Quinjet they stole only fired on the one building. Nobody got hurt."

"Except Commander Gonzalez," Simmons added as Nina leaned against the wall by the door, "it either killed him or destroyed any evidence of foul play against him."

Nina wondered if she was a bad person for not caring how exactly Gonzalez died. She was honestly just happy he had, a little disappointed that she hadn't been the one to off him but she couldn't say that aloud without the parents disapproving.

"If it's theatre, it worked. Every Inhuman up there believes that SHIELD attacked their leader and declared war," May sighed.

"Including Skye."

"Didn't work on me," Nina hummed and they all turned to her, "probably didn't on my transitioner either, she doesn't live in Afterlife so she most likely wasn't there when all this went down."

"You think you can get her here?" Coulson asked, "we're gonna need all the help we can get."

Nina rose her eyebrows in surprise, looking to May and than back at her director. Dawn and May in the same building probably wasn't the best idea. Their personalities are completely different and Nina was certain someone was going to die or at least come out with life threatening injuries.

"Sure," Nina said as she pushes off the wall, deciding that although playing middle man between her trainer and her transitioner would be hard it's be worth it, "I'll give her a call."

"SHIELD got played twice today," Hunter announced as he entered the office followed by Fitz. who was holding a laptop. Nina wondered what took them so long but she was also aware that she ran faster than most people.

"We figured out what happened to Agent Morse. She left on a Quinjet with..." Fitz turned and pointed at May, "you"

May looked at him confused as he turned his laptop around and showed the security footage of Bobbi leaving with the person wearing May's face.

"I didn't leave with Bobbi, that's-"

"Agent 33," Coulson completed May's sentence.

"She killed her guard, stashed him under a blanket in Vault C, then boarded a Quinjet posing as May," Fitz filled the room in and Nina cocked her head to the side, honestly a little impressed.