36

This chapter is very late and I apologise for that. I may or may not have accidentally fractured my thumb on a night out and since I mainly write on phone, creating a whole chapter has been hard. To make it up to you, this is one of the longest chapters I've written with 7000+ words.

Similar to chapter 42 in Take the Shot, there are flashbacks in this chapter. The flashbacks are in italics and represent a few moments in Nina's life that are privy to the way she currently feels. The effects of childhood abandonment are shown quite a lot in this chapter so if that could be potentially triggering for you I suggest you read with caution or don't read it at all. Feel free to dm me and I will tell you what you missed.

So now without further adieu, here's chapter 36.

*

When Nina woke up from her forcefully induced sleep, she found herself handcuffed to a gurney in one of the isolated pods in the lab. The first thing she noticed was that she had a really bad headache and her mind was fuzzy. She blamed the tranquiliser she'd gotten in the neck for her groggy state and groaned as she sat up.

The second thing she realised was that there was no one in the room with her, however, thanks to the glass doors the lab was known for; she could see a guard standing on the opposite side of it. The third and final thing she noted was Fitz and Simmons. They sat, side by side, on the floor of the lab while agents, brought by the intruders, walked around the room.

Seeing the scientists confirmed what Nina had already been thinking about doing, so with a heavy sigh, she bit down on her bottom lip as she reached for her cuffed hand and dislocated her thumb. Her lips fell open in a silent scream of pain as she slid her hand out of the restraining metal and quickly popped her thumb back into place.

Her breathing was heavy at the action but she made a note to ignore the pain and stay fairly quiet in an attempt to keep the guard, posted outside, from turning around.

Without raising any suspicion, Nina climbed out of the bed. She looked through the glass as her boots made contact with the floor to check if anyone had turned her way and when she saw the coast was clear, she stalked towards the exit. As she moved, she checked to see if she was still armed and wasn't surprised to find that she'd been stripped of all her knives while she was unconscious.

Another sigh left her mouth as she pulled open the door, her hand finding a pressure point on the guard's neck before he was given the chance to turn around. He crumbled to the floor a moment later and Nina simply stepped over his body, not caring for him in the slightest. The thud he created went unnoticed as she made a beeline towards the scientists.

"Agent Weaver," Nina heard Fitz say as she neared the pair, rolling her eyes at the woman who'd entered the lab.

"It's been a while," Weaver said as she stopped in front of them, ignoring the pure look of betrayal and hurt on Simmons' face.

"You're working with them?" the biochemist asked.

"I could ask the same about you."

"So prideful aren't you?" Nina asked as she reached them, the scientists and Weaver turning to look at her, "I really don't appreciate being drugged you know."

"I expected you to wake up earlier," was all Weaver said and Nina gritted her teeth at the indifference in her voice.

"Let's see how quick you wake up when I knock you out," Nina threatened as she stalked towards the woman, stopping in her tracks when she found the agents in the room turn their guns on her and click off the safety. She chuckled under her breath at the action, tucking her hands into her pocket, "smart move. Cowardly but smart."