62

Nina was always thankful and cautious when SHIELD fell quiet.

It had been a few days since she and Fitz's impromptu New York date, and Coulson hadn't given anyone a new assignment other than to relax. Nina knew everyone deserved some peace, it had been a hectic year, but she also couldn't help but feel apprehensive. Like the world was in dire need of protection and here she was reading a book or drinking a beer with friends.

The only time she felt calm enough to let her saviour complex rest was when she was in bed, lying next to her boyfriend. They didn't have to be doing anything together, she just felt peaceful being around him.

It was why she found herself incredibly pissed off when her phone rang, while both she and Fitz were asleep.

Fitz barely stirred, his brow furrowing slightly, but ultimately he remained lost in the embrace of sleep, undisturbed by the digital intrusion. Nina, however, wasn't so fortunate. She groaned softly, one hand fumbling for her phone. Her fingers had brushed it, sending it skittering across the nightstand.

With her second groan of annoyance for the day, Nina finally grabbed it and brought the phone close, squinting at the screen. Skye's name was plastered across it so without a second of hesitation, Nina answered.

"Hello?" her voice was groggy, and the hacker was quick to notice.

"Sorry, did I wake you? You're usually awake at this time."

"It's fine," Nina muttered despite it not being so. Her sleep had gotten incredibly distorted lately, and she could only bring herself to fall asleep when she lay beside Fitz. She was lucky to get 3 hours of sleep a night, "what time is it?"

"A little past 8."

Nina's response was a groan as she sat up, and swung her legs out of bed. She was quick to grab Fitz's discarded hoodie and pull it over her tank top. She moved towards her door, wanting to take the conversation outside before she accidentally woke up Fitz.

"So what's up?" She said once she was in the hallway, "why'd you call instead of just crashing into my room like you usually do?"

"I overheard that Fitz was staying the night and I didn't want to walk in on anything I shouldn't see," she teased and Nina rolled her eyes.

"I'll have you know we had a very peaceful night, clothes stayed on."

"Whatever you say," the hacker chuckled, "I've seen Fitz's neck after one of your peaceful nights to know to avoid your bunk in the morning."

Nina knew the hacker was trying to tease her so without hesitation she flipped the script, "yeah? You're more than welcome to join us next time, I'm sure I could paint a pretty picture on your neck too."

"Oh... I... um..."

Nina could hear the fluster in Skye's limited words and she could practically picture the blush on her face. She let her sit in her fluster for a bit, knowing that this was the last time the hacker would try and tease her about her relationship, before laughing and taking the girl out of her misery.

"So what's up, why'd you call?"

"Oh right, er...," she coughed on her side before clearing her throat, "Cal's settled in his new life after the TAHITI reprograming, I was going to visit him and I need moral support."

"And you choose me, the one who, at separate points this month was very okay with killing him."

"Yes."

"... understood, I'll meet you in the cargo hold in an hour."

"Thank you."

"Anytime, Skye."