58

Mack's last day at SHIELD was not going the way he expected it to. He'd planned to go to the ship, grab his belongings and say goodbye to a couple of agents before leaving the floating vehicle and never affiliating with the organisation again.

The last thing he expected to have done was break Skye out of the prison her enhanced mother had locked her in and fight an eyeless man who could teleport while trying to stop him from opening a case full of Terrigen crystals.

"You're different than the others," Gordon said, watching as Mack held his axe close to the floor, "I sense you've encountered something Kree."

"Wasn't pleasant," Mack spat out, he resisted the urge to touch the parts of his body Nina had shoved a knife through. His encounter with Kree technology was the reason for the dark marks on his skin and he'd appreciate not getting any more.

"I can imagine" Gordon grinned, "so why don't you put that thing down, avoid any further unpleasantness?"

"I don't think so," Mack lifted his axe, holding it to his shoulder like a baseball player did a bat, "I've seen what these crystals can do. So, if you want them, you're gonna have to come get-"

The agent's words were cut off as the eyeless man disappeared, reappearing in front of him and sending his fist into his face. Mack didn't so much as stagger before he swung his axe. Gordon anticipated the attack and managed to block the blow and the axe went flying out of his hand.

The large mechanic scrambled after the weapon while Gordon made a beeline towards the case. He tried to open it but Mack stopped his attempt by grabbing the fallen axe and launching it in Gordon's direction. The inhuman responded by once again disappearing as Mack scrambled to his feet.

"What the hell took you so long?" Mack breathed out heavily, sparing a glance at the open door while he stood protectively over the case.

"It's a big boat with poor signage!" Coulson said in defence as he walked into the room, Fitz following behind him. The engineer walked straight to the case and set down his equipment.

"That no-eyed guy keeps popping in here trying to get at these crystals. If he breaks them-"

"Everybody's a statue. We heard," Coulson cut in, "Fitz?"

"On it," Fitz responded immediately, getting to work. He took out a couple of things from his bag and moved towards the walls, installing them. As he did so, Coulson handed Mack a gun.

"Here, take this."

"Thanks, but I'll stick with the axe," Mack took the gun and tucked it into the waist of his jeans, "ricochets in here will be bad. And trust me, you will miss."

"Right," Coulson nodded in agreement, putting his own gun away while Mack pointed to Fitz.

"What are those things?" he asked the scientist.

"Quantum field disrupters, they should contain him here if he comes back," he answered. He spared the mechanic a look before focusing back on his work, quietly wondering why Nina had absentmindedly joked about being wary of Mack.

"Of course, why didn't I think of that?" Mack playfully rolled his eyes.

"That's okay, you've been busy and you're not a quantum physicist. It's completely understandable," Fitz smiled, moving back to his case and grabbing another part of his device.

"That's his polite way of saying, not everyone can be as smart as him," Nina said as she walked into the room, sending Fitz a subtle wink, "he's a cocky little bastard, but you can't help but love him."

"Love you too, Nina," Fitz said with a soft laugh before getting back to work.

"What took you so long?" Coulson asked playfully as she walked further in, his smile fading slightly as he watched the white-haired girl follow in behind her.