15| Maison de l'amour'

I'm sorry people!! This was supposed to be a longer chapter but I've been down with fever since morning. And it was becoming really tough to even look at the screen. But because I had promised one update today, I wanted to keep up to it. 🙂

***

|| Some pain will let you bloom ||

***

Everything around Nandini was making her nervous today. Be it the honking of cars around her, or the vibrations of her mobile that was resting in her in her lap.

She was anxious. More than anxious maybe, because she had no idea what to expect. What to expect from herself when she finally finds herself at the place she has been avoiding all this while? What will she feel after seeing that familiar structure after twelve years?

She in the process of thinking all this, when she felt her entangled hand, slowly getting untangled by another pair of hands. Looking down on her lap, she found long slender fingers interlacing themselves with hers. She craned her neck to her right to find the only face which could sooth her anxiety.

Manik sat beside her, with his hands entwined with hers, as he gave a beautiful smile to the lady who was going to be his wife. "I am here with you, nothing will go wrong". Nandini wanted to counter his optimism, but the driver's voice broke their moment. "Monsieur nous sommes arrivés (Sir we have reached)".

The little ease that Manik's words had provided Nandini, faded away. The moment she steps out of this car, she'll be there, at the estate that she once called her home. Just like that final second before you start running for a marathon, she too was having second thoughts.

"Love, I am here. Come", she noticed Manik was out of the car and was now holding the door for her, with his hands outstretched for her to take. Nandini looked up at Manik, with uncertainty glistening in her eyes. “Trust yourself Nandini. It's the last leap of faith. We'll do this jump together”, Manik urged her to give him her hand and let him take the lead.

That's what Nandini did exactly. She closed her eyes, forgetting about all the worries that were flooding her mind, wave after wave. She shut herself to everything for a moment, and let Manik shepherd her way ahead. Giving her hand to him, she stepped out of the car, with a deep sigh.

There, in front of her eyes, in all it's glory stood the imperial estate that was her home. Just at the entrance, engraved in gold plate, in bold it was written -

Maison de l'amour’
Or
The House of Love.

Nandini cringed at the irony

Nandini cringed at the irony. The palace called the home of love, gave her wounds that scared her to love again. To let someone get close to her again.