19| Arms of the Beloved

You may feel this is a filler chapter but a lot is hidden in it. You've got to read between the lines to get the hints.

~•~

|| A man's strength is measured by the way he will protect the heart of the woman he loves ||

~•~

“Guys! We'll tell you the whole story but right now we need to talk to someone”, said Nandini upon seeing the guest who had just joined them. There were confused faces all around her for everyone was shocked seeing a new face, which none of them knew.

But like Manik, all of them trusted Nandini enough to at least not question her decision in front of an outsider, “We are on the terrace Nandini, you both come up when you're done”, Nyonika took everyone along leaving just the couple and the person in the room.

“How are you Surya?” asked Nandini as she shook hands with him, “I am just as good as you left me”, came a cheeky reply from him to which Nandini smiled. “But it seems someone else is glowing. What's the matter ha?”, the undertones of teasing in Surya's voice that was very much evident left Nandini laughing and Manik, bewildered.

The scene that was unfolding in front of him was something that left him in a swamp. It took so long for Nandini to open up to everyone here and now there was this man who she hated until a few days ago and now she's shaking hands with him and sharing a laugh.

“Ahem!” Manik walked up to stand by Nandini, and wrung an arm around her waist. This wasn't jealousy but just a way of showing his presence. “Nandini, what is Mr. Surya doing here?” He asked the most important question.

“Manik, remember that day we were sitting on the balcony and you told me that love was not in letting go. It was in standing up and fighting for it and I had said someone told me the same”, Nandini took Manik back to the time they were in Belgium, sitting in their room as Nandini awaited answers for a question, “Yes. I remember”.

“That someone was him!”, there was no chance Manik had seen it coming, “What!?”, came his immediate reaction. Talk about Nandini Murthy dropping bomb surprises.

“Had it not been for him, I wouldn't have travelled all the way to Belgium. I was so… onto being selfless for you that I never realised that my selflessness will lead our relationship to the gallows”, as facts came out in the open slowly, Manik couldn't believe that Nandini had a talk, as deep as this with someone who is not him or Aryaman.

Something was amiss. Something wasn't right and he could feel it. He wanted to point out even but the radiance on Nandini's face, as she talked about him, prevented him from taking any step ahead.

He had missed this. This beautiful glowing face of hers and if Surya was the man who brought it back, then be it. He is there for her, watching out for her like a Hawk. Before Surya could do anything to Nandini, he'll have to pass through him. And when it concerns Nandini, it doesn't take much for Manik to unleash the monster he harbours.

“Thank you Mr. Surya. You gave my life back to me and I'll be forever grateful to you for this”, Manik stared deeply into Surya's eyes while his hold on her waist became tighter. The words that left his mouth might be of gratitude but his eyes made the message clear for him. Try hurting her once and you'll beg for death.

Surya too was not far behind. His murky grin didn't change neither did his challenging eyes. “No need to thank me, Mr. Malhotra, I felt it was my duty to reunite two lovers and I did”, honey coated words in a sugary tone. Just the recipe for disaster.