23| She Returns...

Surprise surprise people😁

~•~

|| When people know your darkest mind they become poisonous for you ||

~•~

Nandini's voice was more of a fumble than anything. The cause for that stammer though, was not fear, it was a weird emotional overload. Like a huge chunk of her life that she has buried and forgotten has forced it's way back into her mind as well as life.

"Your mother?", Manik had asked a simple question but got a rather rude and fiery reply, "Nooo! She is the woman who just gave birth to me". Nandini eyes held a rage. A kind of rage Manik hasn't seen before, while her tongue spewed venom.

"Nanhi", a once soothing voice called Nandini out, but it did anything but soothed her wounds. That name rather smeared salt over them and then silence it with a knife. "I am sorry Mrs. Murthy. You've lost the right to call me that", she didn't once care what the effect of her words might be.

Nanhi. Her nickname. She didn't know who had coined it for her but as far as her memory goes, she remembers Arveena calling her with this name most of the time, unless of course other people were present.

For Nandini, it was a secret. A secret that just the two of them shared. It was pious and it was precious but now it was anything but that.

Till yet, in all these years, no one has called her with this. Arveena calling her this sent a tingle down her spine. Though a little throatily, with all the emotions riding high, Nandini did manage to get those words out.

"Please Nanhi", there was visible plight in her demanour, and so was guilt. Mostly it was guilt. Nandini hadn't looked up at Arveena's face yet but she could feel how laced with feelings those words were.

"Why shouldn't I?", the question not only echoed there, against the walls and posts but also in their minds. Especially Arveena's. "Because I am...your mother", was that a question or an answer they didn't know.

Nandini however, took that as an answer. "Wow! Last I remember, you failed to be one", she bawled, looking fiercely at Arveena. Tears lined their eyes, as the mother daughter duo tried to keep them in as much as they could. Showing tears was not something a Murthy would do, and they were adamant on it.

"Nanhi I tried", Arveena was downright sobbing, barely able to speak. "No!! You didn't. You never tried!", and so was Nandini. "You just pretended then. And you're just pretending now".

Arveena was speechless. Emotional but speechless. She wanted to counter, to say that she was helpless, that she did try to find her out but she couldn't. The furry her daughter housed for her scared her and left her hopeless of any reconciliation.

"Look Mrs. Murthy", Nandini spoke after taking a deep breath, "You kept out of my way for eleven years", the press from her side on eleven stung Arveena but she didn't say a word. Afterall, wasn't Nandini speaking the blatant truth?

"Please, for god sake do the same for another eleven years. I have no place for you in my life and my future. Just keep your fucking business away from me and my family", Nandini didn't stay for a reply. She didn't need one. What she said was not up for discussion and she certainly wasn't taking a no for an answer.

She let her steps guide her to wherever they want to take her. She, for once, did not care. Other than being away from that woman who she refuses to call mother, Nandini didn't want anything else. She moved, taking her agony along. It was Arveena's punishment to not be a part of either Nandini's sorrows or her happiness.