Part fourteen [pushing forward]

The pit in your stomach that was dug up by Bakugo was allowed to gouge deeper within the last few days. Every day was heavy, uncomfortable and so painfully stress-inducing you found yourself chewing and biting at the corners of your nails more than ever before. And it only made you more uncomfortable seeing that skin return to its previous state just a few seconds later like you did not take a bite of it at all.

Your eyes roamed the scenery around you, your tired optics skeeming over the many kids eating in the orphanage cafeteria. Watching their faces twist in different emotions as they stayed blissfully unaware of the world around them.

How much you envied their lack of information. Like a fool grasping at the pages of a book with your grimy fingers. Crying over the ability to read the letters and discern the words.

'How many of those kids...were abandoned because their parents were villains?' You found yourself repeating that terrifying thought. 'Or maybe... it's just me...' Your hand clenched around the handle of your spoon with an iron grip. 'If it's like that...that's both reassuring... and terrifying...'

You felt somebody jab their finger into your side making you let out a quick yelp of surprise.

"Earth to kaleidoscope eyes," Daiki repeated with an annoyed expression. "How long are you going to stare at these potatoes? You can't eat them by looking you know?"

The whole world came back to you as your brain finally registered that the whole table is staring at you. Toothlys eyes gazed back into yours as she leaned into Megumi's frame who was staring at you with a concerned expression. Yuki also glanced at you through their dark bangs and you noticed their plate was almost empty. God, you spaced out for long then, Yuki always ate the slowest.

You wanted to reply. Say something, anything. But as if having a mind of their own your eyes moved away from your group and to a faraway table. Akogares tall frame stuck out like a sore thumb, the blonde sitting right next to the scrawny boy with dark tangled hair.

Kohaku was hunched quietly over his food. Not touched. And the kid himself was unmoving. His face stoic, numb, and thinking.

The jewel around your neck strained coldly against the small expanse of your skin.

[...]

Watching Daiki fight was an experience of its own. The boy had no idea how to actually use a sword so he just swung it around in a way that he saw fit. He twirled in the air and made little swishing noises with his voice pretending like he's in some grand battle.

You sat there on the small porch behind the orphanage, in the corner tucked away slightly from many eyes. Megumi was next to you, which was something you were somehow still not very ucostumed to. The boy was always quiet and hanged out mostly with Toothly. They were like brother and sister.

Megumi's silver hair seemed to be glowing slightly even in the dim grey light of the afternoon. The sparkling freckles across his cheeks glittering gently and casting long streaks of light across his complexion that faded into a rainbow at their corners.

"I wonder." Megumi suddenly spoke. "What Daikis power actually is."

You turned your head slightly to look at him. "Maybe it's just that. A sword that cannot cut through anything." You replied.

"Maybe." The silver-haired kid smiled. "Or maybe it's more than that." He did not elaborate further, he did not look at you either. However, after a few more seconds he spoke again. "You seem tired, on edge even." That when his sharp brown eye gazed at your form.

You felt slightly uncomfortable under his stare, it was like he knew everything. "Yeah...I have been tired. I can't sleep very well."

"Any reason in particular?"