Part twenty seven [here the sky is black]

TW: Cannibalism, death, injury, mention of child neglect, starvation

You laid on the floor, back propped against the grey wall of the cell. Looking up at the ceiling you found yourself counting the various colorful splotches that danced in your vision.

'I wonder what year it is...' You thought. 'When was...my last birthday? What was the date again...?' A small sound of confusion passed through your throat. 'I don't remember. I know I ate something every time. Like a cake? What did that taste like?' You ran your tongue across the harsh surface of your chapped lips.

'You've grown older.' Something at the back of your mind hissed. 'Is the memory loss finally kicking in? Maybe that means soon you'll die of old age?'

Chuckling lightly you smiled. "Death... What bliss..."

Something stirred against your stomach. You forgot that Henry was laying next to you with their head on your lap. You don't remember how long they've been there but certainly long enough for you to completely get used to their presence to a point of forgetting about it.

"You really need to eat something Herny." You sighed looking at their untouched lunch tray abandoned in one of the corners of the room.

"I'm not hungry." They whispered.

"Lying is not going to help you."

"I'm not lying..." Henry murmured against your stomach. "I don't feel hungry anymore."

Silence once again set in the air. You watched their starved body move slowly to the rhythm of their shallow breaths.

"I want you to live," Henry said.

"I know." You answered. "But then why are you running away? Why are you abandoning me?"

They stayed quiet for a second before saying "Can't you grant me this one wish...?"

You clenched your jaw feeling your lungs squeeze painfully "I know." You repeated. "Death is a mercy, Henry...I know keeping you here is torture, I know that I'm selfish."

Henry's grip around you tightened, their fingers clenching around the bottom of your vest. "Please live...please live so that I can die..." They whispered.

You bit the inside of your cheek at their words. Looking off at the faraway wall of the room. There was a drawing there made by someone before you. A small scribble of the sun, it was a childish drawing, with the star having scribbled on sunglasses and overseeing a flower with an equally ridiculous face.

"Why do you want lilies, Henry?" You asked.

You heard them huff before answering."My mom told me they are a symbol of purity. I want to be pure even though I can't be... So when people pass my grave they can believe that it's the grave of someone innocent." Their head pushed further into you, trying to retain as much contact. "I love flowers..." They whispered. "I wish I could see them one last time...

I wish I could see the sky..."

[...]

Yours and Henry's placement in the facility was no coincidence although you had to put that fact together yourself. At first, you thought that the number of prisoners was just low, that's why daily you saw maybe one or two unknown faces. That however was not true.

You were kept separated from the rest, probably because of the nature of your quirk and subsequently Henry's. The two of you had quirks that could be exploited simply by the virtue of having your bodies intact, unlike the rest of the population of the facility that was kids who were used as test subjects. Their usability ended at that.