Part eighteen [welcome back]

I can't speak, I can't speak I can't speak. Those frantic words repeated like an echo inside of your mind as the woman dragged you down the sidewalk. You could hear the harsh beating of your own heart drumming through your ears and banging against your rib cage, truly you haven't felt that deep of a panic in a while.

In such a state, you did not register the turns the woman took until you ended up in a tight space between two buildings you did not recognize at all. Your whole body was so numb because of her quirk you felt your head bob helplessly from one shoulder to another yet somehow your legs still had enough power in them to go everywhere the lady wanted. You wanted to tug your arm out of her grip, but it was practically sealed around your arm, her hand was large just like her entire frame.

She was not looking at you, her eyes were set straight ahead like a hunting dog.

You finally got out of the alleyway onto a small and completely barren parking lot behind an old abandoned house. At the very side stood a single black car.

Seeing that you were practically screaming inside your head. Seriously this couldn't be worse. Sweat started gathering on your forehead and streaming down the sides of your face, tears pricking the edges of your eyes the closer you got to the vehicle.

Then a person stepped out of the car.

You recognized him. He was in the group with that woman. An oddly muscular man with dull red hair and dark purple eyes, he was clad in a tight-fit white shirt and black pants. As he stepped out he readjusted the gloves around his hands and looked at the pink-haired woman expectantly before his eyes trailed down to your form.

You felt your stomach drop further down in fear as you made eye contact with him.

Was he a part of the yakuza? You couldn't see any tattoos but that's maybe because of his rolled down sleeves and the way his collar was buttoned all the way up.

Still, it's not like it mattered whether or not he was a part of the yakuza. He was still taking part in this kidnapping, or whatever this was.

"Are we sure this is the kid?" The male's voice rang out, it was deep and throaty, most definitely a smoker. He walked over to you making you clench your jaw in fear as he reached out his hand and ran it across the edges of your disheveled hair. "There is most definitely a resemblance..."

"From everything we know, this is the target." The woman stated. "So we better get going before people notice."

The man nodded. "Bring them here." Before turning to the car. "Time to go home."

Looking up at the woman she gave you a passive look before her grip around your arm tightened and that paralyzing numbness shot through your body like venom. Your head suddenly became so heavy you felt yourself topple over as your whole body like a stringless puppet slacked in your captor's grip and a thick veil of darkness pushed into your eyes.

[...]

In a way, it's dreadful. Waking up. Because you may just end up in a different place than when you fell asleep. And yet we do it every day without a doubt that we will wake up in the same bed and nothing will be changed. Maybe in a way, something at the back of your mind that you didn't know was there was foreseeing for you to open your eyes and be met with the rough sheets of your mattress and the sound of footsteps in the distance. Quiet echoes of people rummaging through the hallways just outside your door, orphaned children preparing for the day to start.

But it was quiet. And the bedding beneath your skin was soft.

Your eyes slowly cracked open, eyelids heavy and throat dry like the desert. The blanket over you was lighter, unlike the thickly stuffed sheets in the orphanage. Groaning you arched your spine before lightly pulling at your bottom eyelids to better open your optics.