Part twenty four [moving piece]

TW: Graphic scenes of violence, death/murder, graphic descriptions of injury

You knew that the day would come. The coliseum was obscured by a high wall and towering doors, two guards on each side, standing there with their rigid postures, faces obscured by veils. They were like those tiny plastic figurines of army soldiers, only with real guns and blood caked onto their clothes.

You walked over there followed by another guard. They did not push you or even touch you at all but none the less their presence loomed over your form. Seeping a quiet sort of fear into your body.

This would mark your first time in a fight, a real fight. Not one where you get to leave with a bruised eye, but one in which your opponent will be set out to kill you. Of course, you knew that that wouldn't happen, you were unable to die, that was your whole quirk. Yet still, that just made you more nervous. Your quirk made things so much more uncertain, how would your opponent react to a resurrecting enemy?

Your thoughts were cut short when a hilt of a gun pushed against your back towards the doors as they began to open. You looked back at the guard who nudged you, into those absent eyes obscured by a veil. They didn't say anything only pushing you again until your presumed eye contact was broken and you focused your gaze on the entrance.

As you walked in you were greeted with a wide-open arena, with high walls that culminated at the top in a sort of dome. There were also these ascending staircases at the sides that were situated high up, keeping a safe distance from the actual battle ring. And on those stairs.

Sat people.

It was the first thing you noticed and it was so jarring for a second you thought you were hallucinating. They were just...there. Dressed in various high-class outfits with these white masks on their faces with tiny slits for eyes. Immediately as you stepped fully into the ring you nearly recoiled back once the mass of people started yelling at the top of their lungs.

They were cheering...?

You could feel the back of your thin shirt stick to your crass skin as sweat began to gather at your spine.

They were yelling as if this was some kind of sporting event, how could...how could something like that be real...?

Then you heard a drumming click on the other end of the arena and the doors opposite of you opened slowly revealing a figure.

It was a kid... Maybe your age. He stepped into the ring, clearly more accustomed to the whole ordeal yet the sweat covering his body was so thick he practically glistened underneath the fluorescent light. His eyes met yours and you could feel the muscles around your jaw tighten, it was as if his gaze scorched you, the blue rings around his irises turning his pupil into a sinking hole. For a second the yelling died down and you could only focus on the way his eyes seemed to tremble slightly.

"WELCOME EVERYONE TO ANOTHER THRILLING MATCH!" A booming voice coming from one of the speakers on the ceiling overwhelmed the audience's screams. With that, your eye contact was broken as you both looked up.
"TODAY 067 AND 572 WILL BE BATTLING IT OUT! 572 IS NEW TO THE RING SO TODAY WE MAY JUST WITNESS A NEW STAR RISE THEIR WAY THROUGH THE RANKS, OR POSSIBLY SUFFER A HEART-WRENCHING DEFEAT!! OH MY, WHAT WILL IT BE!?"

Once the announcer mentioned you being new 067's eyes snapped back onto your face. Your optics met again but this time he looked petrified. As if he was looking at a dying animal his eyebrows creased and he closed his eyes.

"REMEMBER TO PLACE YOUR BETS NOW! AND LET THE SHOW BEGIN!" The speaker's voice was cut short, replaced by the screams of the audience.

You looked back to your opponent to notice the way his eyes opened back up and the way he flexed the individual fingers of his hands.