Part thirty one [who you are]

Pain. Oh God, the pain. You felt it thumping with the rhythm of your heart somewhere along the line that connected your skull to the rest of your body.

You could barely make out your own whining with how much cotton your ears seemed to be stuffed with. Weakness numbed your body, pinching the ends of your fingers and pushing against your eyes.

The air smelled of alcohol, it buzzed and stirred.

A hospital.

Your heart jumped to your throat, eyes tore themselves open. Like a spring your body jolted up, the movement making a wave of nausea push itself down your throat and into your stomach. What did she inject you with this time? Did they already take something? Panicked thoughts whirled around in your muddled brain.

Yet the walls around you were very much white and not minty, the grime and blood was also completely absent.

You sat there gaping, starting at the opposite wall as if you saw white concrete for the first time. Looking down you noticed the iv in your arm and the breathing aid in your nose, its slender cord trailing down to the several machines around you. There was a clasp on the finger of your left hand...

...and handcuffs. You were handcuffed to the bed frame...

Panic seized you, blind and feral. You immediately reeled against the binding, trying to tear your hand out.

No no no-

You thrashed in your bed, the steel around your wrist creaking against the bed frame, scraping curt lines into the metal.

Completely panicked you didn't notice a man in a minty scrub enter the room until he grabbed you by the shoulder, and tried to push you back down onto the bed.

"You need to calm down!" He repeated. "This is for your safety- We didn't even cuff your other arm, it's fine!"

You just snarled, trying to free yourself out of his grip, the needle of the iv was digging into the crux of your arm, bleeding onto the white sheets.

"What is happening here!" An older female voice made the man above you freeze. You looked over and with blurry vision assessed the new figure. An older woman with strange purple goggles and a comically sized syringe in her hands. Her white coat spoke more of her status than anything.

A doctor.

The nurse removed himself from you with a tight expression. "Recover Girl." He greeted. "I was just trying to calm them-"

"Calm them!?" The woman parroted. "I've never seen a worse attempt at 'calming someone' than this."

The man's face flushed red.

She walked over to you and you instantly flinched back, pressing yourself against the crux of your bed frame and pillow.

"Oh dearie, you're bleeding." She cooed Then her eyes slid over to your other hand and her body went rigid. "Who did that?" She pointed at your bound hand with her syringe.

"When the heroes came in." The man stammered, his form bent forward like a scolded child. "They put it as a safety precaution.

The woman's face twisted into a sneer. "Yeah, and how is that going for them." Recovery Girl huffed.

The man flushed an even darker red.

"Uncuff them immediately." She ordered and the man complied taking out a tiny key from his pocket and quickly getting rid of your bindings.

Nothing keeping you in place you sunk further into your pillow, tucking your arms closer to you. Only now, that your adrenalin levels dropped a bit did you start feeling the pain and exhaustion gnawing at your body. Your arms and legs shook like twigs and the weird lumps marring your arms were more prominent. You felt hollow and spent as if you haven't slept in centuries.