Part twenty one [the blue eyed butterfly]

In a way it all made sense, but how it stung though.

You weren't expecting anything good from your father and yet you still believed him to some degree. That you could get along, that things would be better, that it mattered that he was there for you in the smallest of amounts.

It was a stupid thing to do. Trusting anyone always brought hardships with it.

Your cramped together eyelids opened to be met with dim darkness, stretched across a barren grey wall. You were thirsty and hungry and there was a distant ringing deep within your ears. Bones hurting from laying on the hard ground ached even more as you moved in your spot and sat up to gaze across the room you were in.

It was small, all the walls empty and the paint scraped in numerous places, up above a singular vertical lamp embedded deep within the ceiling. And on the far left a door, made out of light brown metal, they looked old like everything else. They were disfigured in numerous places as if somebody punched them way too many times.

It took you roughly two seconds to realize you were not in your usual clothes. What you had on now looked more like some kind of prison uniform. Brownish grey shorts that reached your knees and a shirt in the same color. Over it was what you could call a vest, only made out of the same material and dyed a nearly neon orange shade. You had no shoes on and no socks on.

"Ugh..." You nearly jumped out of your skin as a strangled groan rung through the air from the other corner of the room.

You somehow didn't notice it. A figure, curled towards the wall and turned away from you, now squirming in their spot. From what you could see they had an identical outfit to yours only more rugged.

"E-Excuse me..." You uttered in a scratchy breath.

They stopped for a second releasing a shuttered puff from their mouth that sounded more like they were on the verge of coughing.

Standing up shakingly you wobbled over to the shadow trying to peer over to see their face. "Are you alright?" They didn't seem like a threat, ever so carefully you knelt and lightly touched their arm, slightly recoiling feeling how calloused their skin was.

At your touch, they flinched but their body tipped over and turned to you.

You gasped in horror. They were a kid older than you by maybe two years, with long light blue hair clearly not brushed in a long while and nearly lifeless eyes of the same shade as their locks. The kid was severely malnourished, their face sunken at the cheeks and arms thin like sticks. Moreover, they were covered in blood, the area around the top of their stomach had a giant wet stain on it and as their arms wrapped around the place long streaks of red trickled down their pale skin.

"Sorry-" they managed to gasp and somehow they smiled apologetically. "I woke you u-up-"

You didn't even dare to answer as you stared at their injury in utter terror.

"Don't worry-" they took in a wheezy breath as if there was not enough air in the room before continuing. "This is temporary."

"W-What?! How can it be-" you stammered but a click from the metal doors caught you mid-sentence.

An adult person walked into the room, with a redwork uniform and a strange hat on top of their head that had a veil coming out of it that obscured their face, it reminded you of a beekeepers outfit.

"572. The doctor will see you now." They said in a brisk masculine voice.

'572...?' You thought looking around in confusion.

"I-I will wait for you here..." The injured next to you whispered out.

Gazing at them it finally clicked in your head, that person was talking about you. Shakingly you stood up, you knew better than to throw your questions at the guard, they didn't seem very willing to give out any information, furthermore, they seemed bored. They left, leaving the doors open for you, a dim string of light stretching across the dirty ground.