Part thirty [tiny hearts]

Your laughter dragged out for a couple of seconds too long to be called sane.

You couldn't help yourself though, this was hilarious. The dumbstruck expression of the hero, let alone the fact that he was where he was.

You collected yourself just enough to meet the man's gaze. It looked like he struggled to reciprocate it but he held on. My, how strong and brave of him.

Then your smile died and was replaced by a cold grimace.

"A little late are we?" You mocked.

You heard footsteps down the hallway and before the hero could voice his protests you pushed him into the hallway he came from.

"Get out of the way." You hissed. "You're not bulletproof."

"Like you are!" He sputtered in his gruff voice, it matched his face perfectly.

Your face once again twisted in a pink teethed grin. "I go distract them, then you come in and do all your hero stuff."

"What no-" he protested but by that time you were already running down the main hallway towards the approaching guards. Bullets came raining down on you, through your left thigh and left shoulder, one skeemed the side of your face barely missing your jaw.

Your first connected with the guard's face and before their body even made it to the floor you kicked the other guard square in the stomach. They crumbled to the ground.

When you tuned on your heel to immobilize the last one you suddenly felt a surge of air next to you. The hero with the peculiar scarf barreled his feet straight into the last guard making him drop the gun pointed at your head.

Huh. So maybe they are useful for something.

You turned back to your two opponents, smashed the closest one's face with your heel, and kicked the other one to the side of their head. Your foot sure did hurt from doing all of that, but it was worth it. Oh how worth it.

Then a sudden thought made you stop in your tracks.

"The doctor..." You whispered with a pinched expression, driving the back of your heel into one of the soldier's stomachs.

You tugged at the ends of your matted hair to ground yourself with the dull pain at your skull.

You grinned.

Turning to the hero behind you you stated: "I need to do something, most of the children are down the hall if you're interested."

He turned to you with a bewildered expression, the man was halfway through adjusting a pair of handcuffs around a soldier's limp wrists. "What-? Where on earth could you be going??"

You rolled your eyes. "Personal matters."

He seemed to collect himself, his face turning stern. "What could you possibly-"

"Children." You caught him off, leaning down to meet the man's charcoal eyes. He flinched back instantly trying to mask the movement as an inhale. "Down. The. Hall." You sneered. "Move it."

He looked conflicted for a few seconds before letting out a frustrated grumble and sprinting down the hall with his strange weapon clenched in his palms.

You dug out a speck of dried blood from underneath your fingernail, watching as his figure disappeared through the blur of red lights.

[...]

Tamura Kakuji knew very well what she was getting herself into when she signed up to be a researcher in the less-than-legal facility. Her initial years working as a "doctor" in the place were filled with vomiting, panic attacks, and flashes of guilt so strong it was as if the emotion morphed over time into a sort of parasite that sought to eradicate her from the inside.