Part twenty five [lilies]

TW: Blood, gore, graphic descriptions of violence

Blood. Deep, red. As a kid, you didn't see it very often, at least not in the beginning. Maybe you watched as someone on the playground scraped their knee, or you picked at the sides of your nail and watched the crimson pull out of the thin crevis.

Now the deep stench of rust hung over you like a suffocating perfume. It numbed you, with its bitter tinge. Accompanied by the taste of ash and metal on your tongue, it stuck to your teeth and caked your palms. Your body opened, parts of it ripped out or severed off. It was as if with every experiment you felt a part of you chip off as blood filled your throat and shot up to your nose. You allowed it to trickle out, to burn your insides.

And with the passing time, that felt so inconsistent and fragile, you became grayer, more numb, and more estranged from the world.

In a way you welcomed it. It was easier to slip into nothingness and allow yourself to become less than human. There was no use in dwelling on everything, picking at old and new scabs, recounting every death.

Your power was an instant hit in the coliseum because it allowed for fights to go on longer and become more brutal. You didn't have any destructive abilities yourself and in desperation, you dealt with your opponents in mostly grotesque and violent ways.

Like a pitied sinner you stood on the coliseum grounds as if stuck in limbo. Watching the same doors in front of you open, revealing your opponent. Another malnourished child of graying skin and hair, she looked at you and didn't say anything, already at peace with whatever was about to happen. Those types were the worst to fight.

The screams of the audience have long become background noise, insignificant like the ticking of a clock. You actually had to focus in order to even notice it.

The fight lasted maybe 5 minutes, but to you, it was over in an instant, your opponent did not resist. By the time you were finished she was on the ground unconscious, her forehead bruised over with purple. You stood there staring at her form. You wondered whether or not she got internal bleeding from how hard you slammed her against the floor. You didn't know.

The announcer yelled something, but you failed to understand his words before the body of the girl was quickly disposed of by the guards and the doors in front of you opened once again to reveal another patient. You could not see their face, or maybe your eyes were simply incapable of focusing on the shape of their eyes or nose. They were just another grey mass of bones. A body bag. Something to win against and get hurt in the process. Just for those injuries to heal in an instant.

Nothing happened. There was no murder, only the first opponent, second one, then the third.

You just had to go through it, allow all of it to melt together until you were let go. Disposed of in your cell until they dragged you out the next day or the next week.

The second opponent was harder to ignore, their power was flashy. Something with force fields. They had that obnoxious neon green color to them that made your eyes sting. You were flung across the stadium multiple times, those few moments in which I'm your skull hit the floor were the worst but you mustered through it. Trying to get closer to them. You vaguely registered their mouth moving, yelling something you didn't understand only catching vague sounds that reminded you of words. Yet you quickly shut those out, not allowing the grey mass in your vision to waver. You didn't want to know what they were saying, you didn't want to know their serial number or their opinion of you.

Finally, you got close enough to lay your hands on them then all felt like a blur as you wrestled against each other. Those obnoxious green lights flashing in your vision.