Chapter 1

EIGHT YEARS LATER

******************************************************************

"HOLD!"

The gate slammed shut behind the pig as it ran inside, and the raptors came to a halt.

"Okay! Eyes on me," Owen ordered as he brought out his clicker, gaining the attention of three out of the four of them. "Blue! Blue! Watch it!" he reprimanded as Blue lifted her eyes to him as she chittered and the raptor next to her began to snap.

"Charlie, hey! Don't give me that shit just because Anya ain't here," he replied as he held his hand out, clicker in the air.

He knew that the raptors responded better to Anya, with all of them being women and Anya establishing the fact that she was in charge early on when they began working with the raptors. She really did have a way with dinosaurs. They still responded to Owen well but without Anya here, all of them were more testy than usual.

"Delta, lock it up!" he ordered as he began to click. "Good! And... we're moving!"

Owen then began to walk slowly from one walkway to another, the raptors following as they snapped and screeched at each other before Owen yelled, "Hold!" and they chirped in response.

"Hey, that's good. That is damn good," Owen praised, hand still held out ordering them to stay in place. Owen began clicking as he said, "See Charlie? That's what you get!" and tossed a dead rat to him. "Echo, there you go! Delta!"

Two more rats were airborne as the respective raptors caught them and swallowed.

"Blue!" Owen called as he held up the rat, the raptor chittering in response. "This one's for you."

Blue caught the rat as her teeth tore into it before it disappeared down her gullet.

"Hold!" Owen called and the raptors stilled. "Eyes up!"

They held themselves higher on their legs.

"Go!"

And the raptors roared as they ran.

The other handlers cheered as they high-fived and Barry, the third person who the raptors trusted to handle them, pulled Owen into a hug after their hands connected.

"You finally did it, man! And without Anya too!" he praised, and Owen rolled his eyes.

"Owen," called a voice and the two men turned to watch as a plump man with grey hair laughed as he walked onto the walkways over the raptor enclosure.

"I was starting to think I hired the wrong guys, especially since Masrani's daughter was the only one who could make them obey that well, but, damn, you got 'em eating out your palm," Hoskins said.

"You came on a good day. It's not usually a happy ending," Owen said as he shook Hoskin's hand.

"That why you're not sending in your reports?" he asked.

"We've been busy," Barry replied.

"Not too busy to cash your paychecks, " as he pretended to take a swing at Barry.

"Uh, what do you need, buddy?" Owen asked.

"A field test."

Owen only turned and began to walk away, but Hoskins was hot on his heels.

"Hey. I've just seen that they can respond to commands. We need to take the research and get it on its feet."

"They're wild animals, Hoskins. Trust me. You don't want 'em in the field," Owen responded as they walked.