Chapter 33

They'd been caught.

They followed the line of trucks into Lockwood's estate, about to turn and head into town to call the cops when Wheatley had cocked his gun and held the barrel right at Owen's temple.

Now they sat in one of the cages meant for dinosaurs, Claire looking for a way out as Anya sat next to Owen, curled around his arm with her head on his shoulder, his hand laced with hers. She was a little shaken from having seen him being held at gunpoint, and to be honest so was he. It was a different kind of fear than standing in front of a dinosaur.

"Hello Claire," came the voice of Mills as he polished his glasses before putting them back on. "I just wanted to come and apologise," he said as he neared the bars, Wheatley next to him with a smug grin on his face. "I didn't want to bring you into any of this, but it was the only way that we could get the raptor."

Mills jumped away from the bars as Claire ran at him, barely escaping her grasp as Anya placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, pulling her back.

"But we needed it," Mills finished as Claire turned away from him.

"So this is it?" she asked Mills, unimpressed as she placed her hands on her hips. "You seem like a smart guy. You could start a foundation, cure cancer, but instead you, what? Sell endangered species?"

"I saved these animals!" Mills insisted.

"You put a bullet in my raptor," she spat at him, Owen moving to his feet in case he had to keep her back, but Anya stayed in place.

"You betrayed a dying man for money," Claire spoke up.

"I admire the integrity of you both, but we all exploited these animals. I just have the integrity to admit."

Anya tilted her head at him as she tried to listen to what he implied.

"I never, ever did anything remotely illegal," Claire defended.

"You and Simon Masrani authorized the creation of the Indominus Rex. You exploited the creation of a living thing in a cage for money."

Anya's hands balled into fists as she tried to calm herself down, hating the sound of her fathers' name on Mills' lips.

"And you two, the couple who proved that raptors could follow orders. You never thought about the applications of your research Owen? How many millions a trained predator might be worth? And what did Masrani do with them? He used them to stock his theme park which generated him billions. Not that it matters now, may he rest in peace. But you three, are the parents of the new world."

Mills didn't even have time to process how fast Anya moved as she pulled him by the tie into the bars, making him smash his nose against it as it began to drip blood.

"Anya!" Claire called.

"Let him go!" Wheatley ordered as he drew his gun.

"I think I'll strangle him with his own tie," Anya said as she began to tighten the garment.

"Let him go, or I empty my clip into lover boy," Wheatley threatened as he aimed his gun at Owen and Anya didn't hesitate.

Mills wasn't worth Owen's life as she let him go, Wheatley dropping his gun as Owen pulled Anya flush with his chest.

"How do you want to end this?" Wheatley asked as he handed Mills a cloth to wipe his nose with after he loosened his tie.

"Well, as far as anybody else is concerned, they burned up on the island," Mills answered before he and Wheatley were off and Anya said over her shoulder, 

"When he comes back to kill us, I'm so dumping you."

"What?" Claire asked, both shocked and confused as Owen only chuckled.

"When we get out of here, you're going to marry me."

Anya scoffed as Claire said, "I don't understand you two."

"Neither do I sometimes," Anya admitted.

"But it works," Owen added as he kissed her cheek.

And they could only wait to see who was right after what came next.