Chapter 13

"We know that she is in sector 5. This is a game we call hide-and-seek. It's a scent drill. We've done it about a thousand times with these animals," Anya briefed as she pointed at the section on the map, Barry on her left and Owen on her right as armed men in black gear listened intently.

"When they get on target," Owen began.

"And they will get on target," Anya interjected.

"Wait to engage," Owen finished. "Velociraptors are pack hunters. They like to herd the animal into a kill zone. That's when we take our shot. Get a clear shot, wait on my command and give her everything you got."

"We've got one target here. Do not shoot our raptors because then I might shoot you," Anya threatened cocking her gun for effect before slinging it over her shoulder and walking over to where the raptors were contained in their harnesses, all of the men watching her go.

Owen banged on the table twice, startling the men who were too engrossed staring at her before Barry turned to him.

"How is she?" he asked as they watched her open the gate and walk in, shutting it behind her as she walked up to Blue first.

"She watched her father die today and now Hoskins is trying to take away the animals she raised for over eight years. Not to mention the number of times she's almost been killed today. I'd say she's doing pretty damn well for someone going through all the shit she is."

Barry then followed Owen's gaze to where Anya was now stroking Delta, the raptor almost purring under her touch.

"Ok, what did you do?"

"What do you mean, what did I do?" Owen asked, offended.

"You don't stare at her as much as you have in the last five minutes alone. Something happened between you two," Barry deduced.

"I'm not having this conversation with you," Owen said as he followed after Anya, heading down to the raptors and Barry laughed behind him.

"I'll find out eventually!"