Chapter 40

"Maisie, stay down!" Owen yelled as he kicked the door to her bedroom open, firing the tranq gun at the Indoraptor that was standing over the girls' bed as she tried to sink further into it, wanting the mattress and comforter to swallow her whole.

The creature snarled, each one becoming more painfilled as Owen squeezed the trigger three times and it crashed to the floor as Maisie sat up, slowly uncovering her ears.

But her eyes widened as the Indoraptor began to stand as it growled, Owen firing the gun only for nothing to come out as he tossed it to the side.

Standing tall, the Indoraptor advanced on Owen slowly as it growled, Owen backing up into the corner next to the door, eyes wide.

But before it could reach Owen, two shots were fired from outside the door, and the Indoraptor roared.

And then came a voice that filled Owen with both relief and worry.

"Didn't anyone tell you that the original is always better than the sequel?" Anya asked sarcastically as she moved to the side and Blue roared.

And after a sharp whistle, she launched herself at the Indoraptor.

Owen jumped on the bed, holding Maisie who screamed, as Anya limped in through the door, a makeshift splint on her injured leg as she calmly held a gun to her shoulder, shooting at the Indoraptor whenever Blue was clear.

Their fight was ruthless, brutal as they destroyed Maisie's room, Blue barely stopping the claws of the Indoraptor from scratching at Owen and Maisie.

"Sailor! The balcony!" Anya yelled as she shot, kneeling in the same corner Owen had cowered in before he looked to the open balcony doors that the Indoraptor had come through.

"What about you?!"

"Don't worry about me! Get Maisie out of here!" she ordered, and they got off the bed just as Blue was thrown into it, tangled in fairy lights.

Racing to the balcony, the duo climbed over, Owen following Maisie who'd done this before and knew another way inside.

But before they could get there, Blue and the Indoraptor smashed through one of the windows, making Owen and Maisie slide down the wet roof as the rain kept pouring.

But as they began running on the flat ground next to the skylight that was above the in-house museum they'd hid in, was when Blue and the Indoraptor jumped from the window, crashing down next to them.

"Up! This way!" Owen yelled as they scurried up a ladder that led over the glass dome.

The Indoraptor only snarled as it jumped after them.

Balancing along the slippery structural beam along the top, Owen and Maisie reached the end, only to be met with a four-storey drop.

They were trapped.