Chapter 7

Owen drove the SUV out onto the plains in the valley near the Gyrosphere park while Anya rode shotgun and Claire was forced to sit in the back.

But when he came to a halt, Anya's heart clenched as she sat up and saw what was in front of them.

Slinging her gun onto her back, she got out, leaving her door wide open as Owen told Claire to stay in the car before following her actions, except he held his gun in his hands as he followed after the heir to Jurassic World.

Anya knelt on the ground as she gently stroked the head of a dying Apatosaurus, whose body was covered in claw marks.

The poor thing never even stood a chance against the Indominus.

She shushed it softly as Owen knelt opposite her, meeting her eyes before he too began to stroke it, whispering soothing words to the pained creature.

"You're alright," Anya whispered as its skin was course under her fingers and Claire knelt down by her side, having disobeyed Owen's order to stay in the car when she finally noticed what was happening and that there was no threat.

She reached out a hand to touch it, Anya giving her an encouraging nod before its head moved suddenly and it let out a noise of pain as Owen and Anya eased her back down.

Anya then took Claire's hand and gently placed it on the dinosaurs' neck, the woman in white letting the tears drip from her eyes as they watched the Apatosaurus exhale one last time before going still, finally free from its pain.

Anya stroked its head one last time before pulling herself to her feet and following after Owen who'd gone to stand at the top of the hill. 

And they found five more dead Apatosaurus's, scavengers already feasting on them.

While Claire covered her mouth with both hands in shock, Anya's hand had instantly gone to Owen's, his already seeking hers out the second she'd stopped by his side; a source of comfort and a constant for both of them. As well as reassuring themselves that the other was still there.

"It didn't eat them," he said as she turned to him, Owen still staring out at the dead dinosaurs, Anya squeezing his hand slightly in support and him returning the favour.

"It's killing for sport."