Chapter 16

(A/N: Thank you guys for 1,000 reads! Enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

After heading back to the raptor cages to find nothing but blood and the ambulance missing, the couple had headed down the dirt road, following the faint flashing of the blue and red lights they could see before coming up on the vehicle, its back doors open and flapping as Grey and Zach called to them.

They were running now, Owen having led Claire to the wrecked and abandoned Main Street of the park, the couple still armed with their guns as they ran for the control room through the visitors' centre.

Claire was leading, the boys behind her, Owen and Anya bringing up the rear as they ran hand in hand, their movements oddly synchronised before they hit the lab and abruptly stopped when they heard the sound of glass breaking.

"They evacuated the lab," Claire said, explaining why there should be no noises in there right now.

Anya went first, gun at the ready as she walked into a secret part of the lab she had never seen before, a secret lab that was filled with other genetically mutated creatures.

How did she know they were genetically mutated?

Because a lizard had feathers.

A snake had numerous heads.

And that was just the beginning of the strange creatures hidden within the room. Not to mention the spinal columns encased in tanks for extraction of DNA.

Anya was drawn to a computer with a 3D model of the Indominus, but before she could touch it, a noise startled the group, Claire gasping as they turned.

As they turned to see men, wordlessly packing away embryos into mobile cold storage containers.

"What are you doing?" Claire asked in shock.

"I'm afraid that's above your pay grade, honey," came Hoskins' voice as he strode into the room.

"It's not above mine," Anya piped up but Hoskins ignored her as Claire asked,

"Where's Henry?"

"Dr Wu, he works for us."

And then it clicked.

And Anya laughed.

"That's why you didn't put up much of a fight to keep control of my father's company. You only needed until first light when everything's transferred into my name. You only needed till then to get the embryos out of here along with Henry and leave me with all the damage costs. Oh. That's clever Hoskins. I'll give you that."

"And all this time you acting as if you're better than me, when you didn't even see the bigger picture," Hoskins boasted and Owen pinned Anya's arms to her sides as he held her back.

"That's not a real dinosaur," Grey piped up from behind his brother, Anya calming herself slightly at the sound of his voice as she flicked the hair from her face before slipping her hand into Owen's.

"No, it ain't kid," Hoskins replied as he looked at the monitor that Anya had been going for before. "But imagine that one: a fraction of the size, deadly, intelligent, able to hide from the most advanced military technology. A living weapon unlike anything we've ever seen."

"You really like to hear yourself talk," Anya spat but Hoskins only kept talking.

"You see, millions of years of evolution, what'd we learn? Nature, is the gift that keeps on - OH SHIT!" Hoskins yelled as Owen tugged Anya back, both of them blocking Claire and the boys as Delta burst through the door and roared at Hoskins.

"Easy. Easy, boy," Hoskins tried to soothe as he backed up, fear evident in his voice and Anya couldn't help the small smile that graced her lips as she knew what was about to happen. "Easy. Hey. Hey. We're- we're on the same side, right? I'm on your side," he said, recycling the same garbage he said to Owen this morning as the couple tried to subtly back out of the room.

Grey was first to bolt from the room as Hoskins stuck his hand out to pet Delta only for her to sink her teeth into it as he let out an agonising scream.

And the metallic smell of blood filled the air as Delta tore into him and aside from the fact that she would likely be chasing after them next, Anya couldn't be prouder of her raptor.

"That outta shut him up," Owen mused as they ran, and she shook her head at him.

They began running through the halls only to stop and go the other way as Delta came crashing through the glass walls of the lab, a shard nicking Anya's cheek.

Grey, being the smart kid he was, had the sense to hit the hologram on their way out, buying them some time to get away from Delta as a Dilophosaurus roared to life, distracting her.

But they sprinted down the steps to the visitor's centre only to come face to face with Blue who roared at them, headset still on.

Delta then pushed through the doors, having figured out that the hologram dinosaur wasn't real as she began to surround them.

Echo then roared as she appeared, making Claire and the boys flinch as Owen faced Blue and Anya stood to his left, looking to Echo.

"That's how it is, huh?" she asked with a smirk to her raptors Owen giving her a small one as he saw it.

Then in silent understanding, as the raptors drew closer, Owen and Anya dropped their guns.

Claire's eyes widened in horror as she shielded her nephews, but Owen only looked to Blue, and Anya focused on Echo as Delta watched the humans interact with her sisters.

As she raised her hands, Echo growled something low and throaty as she eased forward a few steps.

"Easy, Ec. Easy," she said softly as she reached past her face to the little clip that she twisted, and the rig fell from Echo's head and Blue's fell from hers.

As Owen smiled at Blue, Anya pressed an affectionate pat to Echo's nose before moving over to Delta.

She approached slowly, hand outstretched, but unlike Hoskins, Delta didn't bite her arm off.

Rather she moved so that her nose pressed to Anya's hand, Anya who couldn't help but smile.

She turned to Owen who gave her a nod, but before he could place his hand on Blue again, an ear-piercing roar sounded and Anya turned as she watched, once again, as the Indominus approached.