Chapter 24

"The T-rex would be dead by now, right?" Franklin asked nervously as they sat crowded into the back of an armoured van.

"It's impossible to know the complete lifespan of a clone in a completely different environment," Zia answered. "Take a caveman who would've lived 20 years. Feed him prime meals, give him healthcare, he's gonna live five-times as long."

"So, she'd be dead by now? Right?" he asked with a nervous smile.

"Well, Rexane survived a battle with the Indominus Rex, making her the largest carnivore on this island. You can probably do the math on her odds of surviving," Anya smirked, Zia and Owen smiling at the scared look on Franklin's face and Claire just staring in disbelief as the trucks rumbled along.

Anya and Owen's hands found each other as they both stared at the place they never thought they'd return to, much less under these conditions.

The physical touching was something they both needed as it reminded them that they were not alone, that they still had someone who loved them.

And right now, it was the only thing grounding them as their hearts beat in their throats and they pulled up onto the damaged Main Street.

"Bad memories?" Ken asked, watching the two, along with Claire who stared out the window.

Anya didn't bother answering him, too affected by the view outside.

How different the park was without everything in its immaculate position. She kind of liked it more, the way nature engulfed the modern world. Soon it would be as if the park never existed at all.

She only turned away from the view when she heard Owen's answer to Ken's question.

"Some were good."

And the corners of her lips turned upwards as she thought of their first kiss here before turning back to the window, aware of Owen's eyes on her.

And then the truck stopped.

"What was that?" Franklin asked and Anya removed her hand from Owen's as she peered out the window, straining her ears.

"Is it the T-Rex?" Franklin asked worriedly as they heard the rumbling again.

Anya's face only broke into a smile as she tapped Zia and made her look out the window.

"I have to see this," she breathed as she headed out the back of the truck, Anya and the rest of the company in their van on her tail.

And the ground rumbled again as the Brachiosaurus bellowed before going to eat from the nearby trees, Claire side-hugging Zia who looked to be in tears.

"These ones, these ones are nice," Anya said as Owen moved to stand next to her.

"What? Wouldn't want to see Rexane again just because you don't agree with her diet?" he joked as he nudged her with his shoulder.

"As much as I love her, I want to leave this island alive."

Her arms wrapped around his waist as his settled around her shoulders, holding her to him.

"We'll make it. And when we do, I'm thinking maybe blue for the bedrooms? Green for the kitchen, yellow for the living room and red for my man cave."

Anya scoffed.

"I will knock that house down if you think you're getting a man cave. You have to be a man first."

"And how am I not a man?" he asked confused as he looked down at her.

"Because you haven't saved the girl yet."

"But I can kiss her," Owen said as he brought his lips to hers.

"Blue."

"What?" Owen asked as they pulled away and she smirked as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I meant you haven't saved Blue yet, but I'll gladly take the kiss."

Owen returned her smile but before their lips could meet, Ken's voice yelled, "Hey, lovebirds! You get eaten on my watch and Lockwood has my head. So, get in the van!'

"No wonder why Ken doesn't have a Barbie," Owen joked and Anya laughed as they headed back inside, and Blue got closer with every metre they journeyed.