Chapter 35

To say Anya was in disbelief was the understatement of the century.

They'd snuck out of the lab onto the upper levels only to be drawn by the loud words of an announcer, an auctioneer speaking words they couldn't ignore.

Anya stood next to Owen, one of her hands gripped in his and the other with Maisie who was also holding Claire's hand as they stared out of the vent.

The Indoraptor.

A creature made from the DNA of the Indominus Rex and a velociraptor.

It roared in a cage as it was rolled out on a conveyor belt, two guards stabbing at it with lances that stunned it.

To say that Anya was in disbelief was the understatement of the century.

"What is that thing?" Claire whispered as they all stared open-mouthed at it.

"They made it," Maisie spoke up, not taking her eyes off the creature. "Mr Mills and the other man."

"What man?" Claire asked.

"Him."

And Maisie pointed at none other than Henry Wu.

The adults shared a glance, breathing hard as their mouths remained agape.

"Biospecs include, a heightened sense of smell and trained to respond to a pulse-coded laser targeting system, enabling it to isolate and track prey in complex environments. Voila.

The speaker then nodded at a guard who trained his aiming laser onto a member of the audience.

"Now first, the laser sets the target," the announcer explained and the crowd gasped as the Indoraptor roared as it fixed its eyes on the man.

"Once locked on, the acoustic signal triggers the attack."

A high-pitched ring sounded through the air and the Indoraptor roared as it raged against the bars, snapping and sitting as he tried desperately to get to the man.

And then despite the announcer explaining that the dinosaur was a prototype and not for sale, people began bidding on it, and the price just kept getting higher and higher and higher.

"That thing can't leave this building," Owen said as Anya squeezed his hand.

She and Owen were about to head off before Maisie tugged on Anya's hand, not letting go.

"Please stay," she begged, tears threatening to line her eyes and Anya only knelt down as she held Maisie's hands.

"Maisie, I promise you that I will be right back. I just have to help Owen really quick so I want you to stay with Claire and we'll be right back, ok?"

"Promise?"

"I promise," Anya said as Maisie hugged her before going to hug Claire's waist, Claire's hands holding her tight and Owen and Anya disappeared around the corner.