Chapter 10

Claire looked to Anya, the phone still held to her ear before Anya took off into the trees, heading for the cliff that allowed you to view the aviary from a distance.

Owen had to pull her back from the edge as she stood as close as she possibly could, chest heaving and hands shaking as she watched the blue helicopter fly closer.

They watched as the bullets flew from the Gatling gun, and the Indominus' roars could still be heard even over the gunfire, before it barrelled into the aviary, breaking the glass dome.

And the Pterosaurs that were set free went straight for the helicopter.

While Claire was gasping as she watched the gunman fall from the helicopter.

And then as the beak of one of the Pterosaurs pierced the body of the co-pilot.

And then the helicopter crashed.

The blue chopper, along with Simon Masrani, crashed through the roof of the aviary before exploding in a fiery inferno.

And as the flames scared the Indominus from the aviary, Anya just stood watching; still; frozen; unmoving.

She didn't have a reaction until the Pterosaurs flew from the newly formed hole in the top of the aviary and began coming at them.

She didn't have a reaction until Owen tried to tug her towards the trees and she broke.

"Rani, we have to go," he said, hand on her arm.

"No," she whispered and shook her head as tears began to fall.

"Anya-"

"No!"

She kicked and she screamed and she cried as she called out for her father and Owen half dragged her and half carried her to the tree line where Claire was already hiding, his heart breaking for her.

And she was crying still as they made it and Owen tackled her to the floor to avoid the one Pterosaur that swooped at them.

"Anya," Owen said worriedly, the girl still unresponsive. "Anya, look at me!"

Her red eyes met his, brown irises dim, all signs of laughter and joy long gone.

"I don't know what you're going through, and I know that it sucks, but we gotta go. Rani, you hear me? We gotta go. I'm not about to lose you. You hear me?"

Anya only nodded as she let him pull her to her feet, hand still in his and guns slung around their backs as they ran, and her father burned behind her.