Chapter 55

Beta was secured on Anya's back as her head rested on her shoulder and they made their way back up to the control room. However, when they heard footsteps coming and Anya raised her gun, she was relieved to see Ellie and Owen.

Maisie instantly went for a hug before Anya joined in and he kissed both of them.

"You got Beta. Nice job," he said, and Anya smiled knowingly as she turned to Maisie.

"Thank our newest raptor wrangler," she revealed, and Owen gave her an impressed look.

"Nicely done, kid."

"You guys turn the ADS back on?" Anya asked as Ellie hugged Alan and a grim look appeared on Owen's face at the thought of the locusts, they'd had to face to turn the power off.

"Nothing we couldn't handle," Owen replied.

"Good," Anya said. "Then let's get the hell out of here."

"You want me to carry her?" Owen asked before they moved.

"I got her."

"We're flying out of here, baby. You still wanna be holding Beta on the chopper?"

She considered his words for a minute before grimacing at the thought of their flight getting here.

"Yeah, alright you hold her. Maisie, hold this," she asked as she handed Maisie the gun and they began gently unstrapping Beta from around Anya, who smirked as her husband's hands lingered in certain spots on her body for longer than needed.

As they worked though, Maisie held up the gun as someone emerged from the shadows.

"Well, I'll be damned. Henry Wu," Anya muttered as Owen placed Beta around his back and Anya began to tie her down, but not before gently easing the gun out of Maisie's grip.

"I remember you," Alan said.

"Please you have to listen to me," he begged as he clutched his satchel to his chest.

"You created an ecological disaster," Ellie retorted, and Anya scoffed.

"No surprise there."

"I can fix it," he insisted. "Charlotte Lockwood changed every cell in Maisie's body. It saved her life. If I can understand how Charlotte rewrote Maisie's DNA, I can spread change from one locust to the entire swarm, before it's too late."

The second Henry had said Maisie's name, Anya moved in front of her and aimed the gun back up.

"You're not touching my daughter," she warned, a protective rage unlike any other flowing through her body.

"It's ok, mum," Maisie said as she placed a hand on her arm. "It's ok. It's what Charlotte would've wanted."

Anya lowered her gun.

"Are you sure kid?" Owen asked and Maisie nodded.

"Thank you," Henry said as Maisie turned on him.

"I'm not doing it for you."

"No, no, no, no, no," came Ian Malcolm's voice as he and Ramsey found the group. "Him? Not him. It's always him. Every – is that a dinosaur on your shoulder?"

Owen gave Ian a confused look.

"Well, I mean it was on her shoulder two minutes ago, now it's on mine. Why?"

"I'm here! Meet me at the centre," came Kayla's voice over the walkie-talkie as everyone turned to the windows where the lights from the chopper were shining through.

Ramsey rushed to tell her not to land in the centre because that's where they'd herded all the dinosaurs, but they really didn't have a choice seeing as there wasn't a safer place to land a damn helicopter in the middle of a burning forest.

Thank you for that Biosyn.

"Come on! Come on! We gotta go!" Ramsey yelled as they headed for the doors.

"About time we finally get the hell out of here," Anya muttered as she held her gun in one hand and took Maisie's with the other.

And into the dinosaur-filled arena they ran.