Chapter 14

"Easy Blue. Easy. Attagirl," Owen cooed as she growled at him, his hands on her face checking the camera rig as Anya tended to Charlie. "You don't scare me," Owen said as he fixed a camera and Anya laughed.

"Could've had me fooled with the show you put on this morning when I jumped into the cage."

Owen rolled his eyes.

"That's different. "

"Oh yeah? How so?" Anya questioned, hands on her hips and he could only stare at her, debating whether or not to tell her that he'd only been scared, not of Blue, but for Anya, scared for her if she got hurt.

Luckily, he was saved from having to answer when Grey's voice called them both over, both the boys hanging off the bars that kept them away from the raptors.

"Are they safe?" Grey asked and she heard Owen take a breath, likely thinking about all the ways that this could go wrong, and she answered before he could.

"No, they're not," she said, not wanting to lie to them and now also considering those possibilities.

"What are their names?" Zach asked as he couldn't take his eyes off the animals.

She let Owen do the introductions as he pointed to each of them.

"Well, you got Charlie, there's Echo, here is Delta, and this one's called Blue. She's the beta."

"Who's the alpha?" Grey asked.

"You're looking at him kid," Owen smirked smugly, making them smile as Anya scoffed.

"He wishes," she said to the boys as they looked at her. "Our raptors are all girls, naturally they respond better to a female alpha than they do a male," she explained as she playfully nudged Owen with her elbow.

"They still listen to me," Owen tried to defend and Anya crossed her arms over her chest.

"Once without me there, and that was this morning."

Owen only waved her off in annoyance as he returned to Blue, Anya and the boys laughing before Claire called them over towards an ambulance.

Anya was about to tend to Echo last when Owen grabbed her arm, gently pulling her flush with him.

"What? Are you ok?" she asked as she met his eyes, her hands on his biceps, which were rather muscular.

"I need you to listen to me."

"Ok?" she said confused as she furrowed her brows.

"If this thing goes sideways, I need you to get out. Get on a bike, get in the car, run, I don't care. Just get out."

"I'm not leaving you behind," she said as she pushed away from his grip, annoyed that he'd even suggest it.

"Yes, you are. I can't have anything happen to you."

"And I can't have anything happen to you!" she exclaimed, tears lining her eyes. "You are literally all I have left Owen. I don't want to even think about trying to live life after losing you and my father on the same day. So, no. I will not leave you behind. If you die, I'm dying with you. I would have no one else to live for otherwise."

She went to push past him, but Owen grabbed her again, bringing his lips to hers, his hands moving to her waist as hers stayed on his shoulders, wrapping around his neck.

They only broke away when they heard the sound of someone clearing their throat and turned to see Barry smirking at them from the other side of the bars.

"Time to go," he said and while Owen was still slightly frozen, Anya returned Barry's smirk.

She pecked Owen's lips again in parting before walking over to Echo, her hand sliding up Owen's chest and over his shoulder before his body went cold at the loss of her touch.

Barry's arms were crossed over his chest as his smug smile grew even bigger.

"Shut up," Owen muttered as he walked over to Blue.

And as he walked it took all of him to ignore Anya's laughter over Barry's comment in French.

Something along the lines of, "when all of this is over, you will be the one not shutting up over this, Loverboy."