Chapter 6

"Can you ever go anywhere or do anything without getting patted down by security?" Anya teased as they walked through the visitor's centre that was bustling with children and family.

"It's not my fault! They have it out for me!" Owen defended himself, making Anya laugh a little before her smile faded as she spotted a familiar head of red hair.

"Claire!" she called, about to rub in the fact that they barely lasted two minutes before coming to find them when Claire whirled, and Anya saw the distressed look on her face and the tears lining her eyes.

"I need you," she said to Anya and Owen, who had followed his best friend.

"Okay," Owen said somewhat uncertainly, indicating for her to explain and not taking the opening for a veiled insult.

"I need your help. My nephews, they're out in the valley. Please, if anything happens to them -" she explained, looking between both of them, tears so very close to sliding down her face as Owen gently tugged her to one side.

"How old?" he asked.

"Uh, the, um- the older one, he's high school age. The younger one, he's, um- he's a few years-"

"You don't know how old your nephews are?" Anya asked in disbelief and Claire was speechless, ashamed by the answer that she did not have.

"Please! I just need your help. I -"

"Fine!" Owen cut her off. "We'll help."

"Excuse you?" Anya reprimanded.

"They're kids, Rani," he said, and she sighed.

"Fine. But you get to clean out the raptor cages for the next month," she said to him with a pointed finger before walking off, uncaring of if they followed. "Let's go."