Chapter 22

Claire walked onto the plane with a heavy heart, disappointed.

They'd waited as long as they possibly could, and with no sign of the couple, they had no choice but to leave.

With her head and eyes down, Claire made her way to her seat in the second-last row on the small plane, and she didn't see who sat in the last row.

Anya sat, staring out the window with Owen's head on her lap as he slept, fingers idly playing with his hair.

Claire didn't notice them until Owen moved to sit up and stretch, Anya smiling as she remembered the reason why he was so tired.

They both weren't morning people, but they figured that last night was the last night that they'd get time together alone for a while, so they made the most of it.

"You came," Claire said in disbelief as she turned back over her shoulder.

"Didn't think you were ever going to show up," Owen muttered, voice still coated in sleep.

"This is Zia Rodriguez," Claire introduced as the aforementioned woman sat opposite Claire, her demeanour giving the couple the impression that her tongue was likely quite sharp.

"Zia," Anya greeted as they both got up one at a time to shake her hands before returning to their seats next to each other.

"Hey, how you doing?" Zia greeted before she sat.

"Yeah, real good. How are you?" Owen returned.

"Good."

"Franklin Webb. Systems analyst," Claire introduced pointing at a skinny boy with glasses that hugged his bag close as he buckled his seat belt tightly, sitting next to Zia and opposite an empty seat.

"Nervous flier?" Anya asked.

"Would you ride an a-thousand-pound horse that's been abused all its life?" he retorted, and she smirked.

"We rode motorcycles through the jungle with a pack of raptors," Owen answered and Anya smacked his shoulder.

"We're not compatible," Franklin said, somewhat at a loss for words.

"I'm not a fan of flying either," Anya spoke up as she gripped Owen's hand, Claire's eyes falling as she assumed why.

"How do you get through it?" he asked curiously, envious of the calm yet anxious vibe he got from her as opposed to the completely terrified one radiating from him.

"The way you get through anything. You anchor yourself to something. Something that makes all of this worth it in the end," she answered, Owen squeezing her hand reassuringly.

"Is yours him?" Franklin asked nodding at Owen and Anya laughed as she glanced at her boyfriend before looking back at Franklin.

"No. He's just my stress ball," she explained as she squeezed his hand for emphasis, making Franklin give a small smile before the engine roared to life and he flinched, hugging his bag tighter.

"What- uh, what's yours? If - if you don't mind my asking?"

Anya didn't even have to think about it.

"A house on a hill by the lake where I can watch the sunset every day."

"Do I at least get to be a part of it?" Owen asked, his other hand braced on his knee as he looked at her, Claire and Zia only smiling softly at the scene.

"Sure, I guess. I mean, I do need someone to help me build the house."

Owen gaped at her, squeezing her hand tighter as the plane began to pick up speed and her smile fell slightly, heart beginning to race.

"You do realise that the whole house by the lake was my idea, right?" he asked, hoping to distract her.

"An idea that I made a reality," she retorted somewhat uncertainly as the plane launched into the air.

"Hey! I could've done it without you. I'm not completely helpless."

Anya had no choice but to laugh.

"You keep telling yourself that, Sailor."

Owen then pulled her head to rest on his shoulder, pressing a kiss to her forehead as the plane soared through the air.

And despite the little twinge of jealousy that flowed through Claire, she was happy for them.

Owen was really good for Anya and she was really good for him.

She couldn't help but feel sympathy for Anya and her fear of flying, but where they were going, she was beyond glad that both of them got on the plane.