Chapter 32

Owen and Anya stood on opposite sides of Blue's head, within range for her to see as Zia prepared to remove the bullet.

"Shhh," Owen hushed as he stroked Blue, Claire gripping Franklin's hand as they watched the scene.

"I'm going to make an incision on her leg to remove the bullet," Zia explained and Blue screeched in pain tears lining Anya's eyes at the sound as she and Owen tried to calm her.

Anya swore she watched a tear fall down from Blue's own eye as Zia dug around for the bullet before slowly pulling out the forceps, the clang of metal on metal ringing through the air as she threw down the bullet onto the tray.

"She's going to be ok," Zia announced and a tear slid down Anya's face in relief as Claire let out a reposing sigh as she cried, hugging Franklin who found it quite awkward.

"You're going to be ok," Anya said to Blue as she lightly pressed a reassuring hand to the raptor's neck.

"Hey," Owen said as he placed a hand to her cheek, wiping her tear with his thumb. "She's gonna be alright. You're not gonna lose her," he assured her, and Anya let out a breathless sigh as she nodded, and Owen leaned further to place a quick kiss on her lips as Zia began to stitch up the wound.

Blue was going to be ok.

******************************************************************

Blue had finally fallen asleep after being stitched up and so had the rest of them.

Owen sat with his back against the crate and an arm around Anya who was next to him, sleeping on his shoulder with her hand on his chest.

Claire leaned back on the crate like Owen but on the opposite side of the truck, while Franklin was sprawled out on the floor, sleeping on his jacket.

Zia had slept earlier and was checking up on Blue when she heard voices and quickly woke everyone up.

With their backs flush to the wall, Owen held Anya close as they held their breaths and tried not to lunge at the voice of Ken Wheatley.

"You got a heartbeat?" he asked as he slid the window open to look at Zia and Blue.

"Yeah, do you?" she sassed back.

"I need blood samples," he ordered.

"I'm not here to help you reset the food chain, so, take your own damn samples," she shot back, and Ken only rolled his eyes as he shut the window and they all let go of the breath they held.

"Go, go, go!" Zia urged as they made their way to the back of the truck.

"Take care of my girl," Anya asked and Zia gave her a firm nod before she took Owen's hand and slid out of the truck, trying not to put too much weight on her knee, which was a little more tender now that the bruise had fully formed.

But Franklin was too slow, he got caught.

Zia covered for him but now he was off on his own, working with the people who wanted them dead as Anya, Owen and Claire hid underneath the truck.

"Shit," Owen swore as Franklin walked off with the man who caught him.

"This brings back memories, huh?" she said as she nudged Owen, reminding him of the last time they hid under a truck almost four years ago.

"At least there's only humans trying to kill us now," Owen pointed out as Claire watched Franklin who looked as if he was trying not to panic.

"He's not going to make it," she said.

"You both stay here, I'll get him," Owen said as he began to crawl forward, but before Anya could protest the truck rumbled to life above them. "Never mind, there's no time. Let's go," he said as they all crawled out from under the truck.

Slipping between tucks, they found an empty one, Claire climbing into the passenger seat, Owen into the driver and Anya between them as Owen froze when a man banged on his door, saying that he was good to go.

"Where are they taking them?" Claire asked as Anya took Owen's hand, hoping to help calm him.

"We're about to find out," Anya said as she pointed to where the other trucks were being switched on and light filled the cargo bay as they began to file out.

Time to find out who's behind this.