CHAPTER 33 One Year Older

Chapter 33 

Felicia lay curled up in bed, thinking about what had happened over the past year. She took up her cell phone off the bed and called her mother because she had ignored all of her mom's calls for a few days. 

"Hey, Felicia. How are you doing? Why have you been ignoring my calls?"

"Hi, mama, I'm okay. I wasn't ignoring your calls. I wasn't feeling well." She lied. 

"You weren't feeling well or because you were so drunk and you didn't want me to find out?" Fran asked, bluntly. She didn't give Felicia a chance to reply. "Renee told me that you've been drinking. You need to stop and start taking back your medications." 

"Mama, I only had a few glasses of wine. It was no big deal. I don't need those medications, I'm fine." She murmured. 

"Well, you don't sound like someone who is okay. You need to start taking them back as soon as possible and get your life back on track. When you were here, you were doing well. I think that you need to come back."

"No," Felicia said, shaking her head. "I'm not coming back to California, mama, I hated it there. I want to stay here."

"You're a grown woman and I'm not trying to control your life but I will not sit here and let you throw your life away. You will not become an alcoholic like Marcus was." Fran warned her. "I'm going to meet Trina. I'll talk to you soon. I Love you." 

"Okay, mama, bye."

'Oh, shit,' she thought. 'Today is Alejandro's birthday.' She called his cell phone because she wanted to wish him a happy birthday. She also wanted to apologize for her behavior two nights ago but his cell phone rang and then it went to voicemail. She took up all the medications off the nightstand and threw them in the trash can. 

***

Alejandro got out of the shower, dried his body, and put on a black Armani jacket suit. Today was his thirty-third birthday. He never thought that he'd live so long. Knowing how many times he was shot and almost died. It was on his sixteenth birthday that he got the horrible news that his dad died. He was out with Joel and his high school sweetheart, Nicki, when he got the dreadful phone call from his mom's sister, Brook, that his father was shot seven times. He looked at himself in the mirror. Since Nicki died of leukemia, he was always single on his birthday. He wanted to find a woman to spend his life with but was never lucky to. He wanted to have two kids but that will never happen. He believed that he was not capable of any woman's love. He refused to go back to his old ways by sleeping with a lot of chicks that meant nothing to him. 

He checked his iPhone and saw all the birthday messages from everyone. He saw a few missed calls. He was shocked to see a missed call from Felicia. He wanted to call her back but quickly decided against it. His phone rang just as he was about to put it inside his jacket pocket. 

"Hi, mom. How are you?".

"I'm okay, sweetheart," Ingrid responded, softly. "Happy birthday, my special son. I want us to have dinner at your place tonight at eight. Do not be late. How are you doing today?" 

"Thanks, mom. I'm doing well. I'll be there on time. I just wish that things were different, you know." He sighed heavily. 

"I know, dear. I want you to enjoy your birthday and stop worrying. Are you getting ready for work?"

"Yes, I am." He responded to her. 

"You're such a workaholic like Antonio was. When are you going to find a nice girl and get married so that I can have grandbabies to babysit? I'm not getting any younger, son."