Chapter 44 Free At Last

Renee walked out of the doctor's appointment holding Dantae's hand. The ultrasound confirmed that she was six weeks pregnant. She was quiet the entire ride home with Dantae. She couldn't believe that she had made the same mistake that her birth mother made twenty-nine years ago. Her sick leave was over today so she was going back to work tomorrow.

They arrived at Dantae's apartment. He opened the car door for her and helped her to get out of it. He locked his car doors and opened the door to his apartment. Renee walked in and dropped herself down on the sofa.

"Are you okay, Renee?"

"No, I'm not okay, Dantae!" Renee yelled at him.

He went and sat beside her on the sofa.

"I know baby but we're in this together. I was thinking that you could bring the baby and we would raise it as our own. That nigga wouldn't have to know."

That suggestion only made Renee get more upset. She got up off the couch and started to pace back and forth as she ran her hands through her hair.

"That's not happening, Dantae! I'm not carrying this child! I'm going through with the abortion! That loser will find out that I'm carrying his child!"

"How will he find out if he's living out of town? Is there something more to this that you're not telling me, Renee?" He asked her because something wasn't adding up to him.

"No, Dantae. I told you everything. I'm not carrying this child!" Renee yelled at him and went inside the bathroom.

He followed behind her. She stood and stared at herself in the mirror. He went and stood beside her.

"I just want my life back, Dantae! I just want things to go back to the way that they were! I want to wake up from this damn nightmare!"

He hugged her and pulled her into his embrace. She rested her head on his chest.

"Ren, please calm down. Your blood pressure is high and that's not healthy for you. I'm coming with you when you're going to have the abortion. Have you told sis?"

She held her head up and looked at him. "Not yet but I'm telling her tomorrow. I don't deserve you, Dantae. You're the best man that I've ever been with."

"It's the other way around, Ren. I'm not leaving you, baby, never."

She hugged him tighter as the tears began to run down her cheeks. She had become her biological mother and that was the last thing that she wanted.

***

Joel opened his apartment door and entered inside. He threw his keys on the table and took off his timberland shoes. He took out a beer from the refrigerator inside the kitchen. He opened it and started to drink it. He was surprised to see the dirty dishes that he had left inside the kitchen sink a day ago all done. He suspected that Apple came and did it. He was hardly home. He was from the trap houses to Alejandro and Felicia's house. He had paid off and let his housekeeper Beth go because he and Apple were no longer together. He had only hired her because Apple wanted a housekeeper. She traveled a lot because of her career so she hardly had time to do any household chores.

He heard a text message coming in on his iPhone. He checked and saw that it was from Apple.

my sexy love: I miss you, Joel.

He read it and smiled. It has been two weeks since Apple had called his phone. Deep down he still loved her but he was tired of her treating him as her puppet on a string. He put the beer bottle down on the countertop and went to take a shower. He put on his clothes and his Rolex. He was about to go out when he saw Apple walking out of the guest bedroom.