17

It was great to see my dad again. He was in good health and the garage was doing great.

We only got to stay for a few hours, as it was a same day return, but within those few hours I had managed to find myself under the hood of a car that Benny hadn't been able to start.

I looked up to the ageing man to signal or him to turn the key. The old Toyota revved to life smoothly. "Hey hey! What did I tell you?" I said making my way to the door.

"Come and visit more often Al!" He called.

I laughed lightly and walked back up to the house, where I had left Jack with dad.

Poor him.

I opened the door to see Jack and my dad on the couch, watching some baseball game. As soon as I walked in the conversation that they were sharing died down.

I looked at them weirdly as all of their attention returned to the game.

"So uhh, how about the uh Yankees?" Dad said to Jack.

"They're good I guess." Jack returned.

I eyed them suspiciously, wondering why dad had suddenly become so buddy- buddy with Jack. Maybe there is a stage in a relationship where the dad doesn't threaten the boy with a "gun" every time he lays a hand in the girl.

I pestered Jack about what they were taking about for the whole flight home, but he simply said that, "I was telling him about your study and how you graduate in like nine months. Exactly two days after my twenty first birthday"

I didn't buy it.

•••

Sorry about not updating. I just got back to school from holidays and I'm already considering hand- cuffing myself to my bed so I don't have to wake up in the morning.

Ugh.