𝟤𝟧 | 𝐼'𝓂 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓇𝒶𝒸𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒷𝓎

PARALYZED

THIRD PERSON

THIRD PERSON

All four of the fathers walked ahead in glum silence. They took turns switching places with the sons who were equally as solemn.

The entire family —not only the closest members—  ventured on in silence, wind brushing through their black attires, rain falling down heavily from the sky and onto their open umbrellas. The atmosphere was thick, nobody dared to speak a word nor breathe too loudly to the point of being able to be heard. There was the occasional sneeze or someone blowing their nose into their tissue.

How could they have known that there would have been no tomorrow?

Everyone hurt.

Athena felt as though every time she had closed her eyes, pictures and happy memories resurfaced which surged on another spray of tears. Every breath she took hurt her lungs more than the last till she felt like she suffocated, a prickle in her lungs as if a needle constantly punctured it.

Kye kept his stride slow, not leaving her side. He had tried to initiate contact by holding her hand, as a form of comfort but she switched the hand he wanted to grab with the one gripping the umbrella. His jaw clenched but he held himself back, he was hurting just as much as she was.

Her eyes were red and slightly swollen but covered elegantly in fine lines of eyeliner and mascara.

The people stopped the walk through the rain, standing in front of a deep hole in the wet, muddy ground, the sides of it covered by sheets so they could lower the casket.

It was sad. A place so full of grief and tragedy but so beautifully decorated. Roses of many different colors were all around the marble surrounding the huge hole in the ground. The marble was shining, but it seemed dull with all the clouds around them, beautiful white, cursive writings in two languages were engraved in the swirling grayish black marble on multiple spots.

People held short speeches, Athena refused to but Kye made her say a few words as he knew she would have regretted it later on. Her words brought the tears to many eyes, letting them be a part of the happiest memories and the saddest pain.

A bit after, they were on their way back home. Athena, per her own whispered request, stayed behind alone.

"I can't believe you're gone...This was the most unexpected thing ever, who is supposed to give me advice like only you can give me now?" She chuckled hollowly, forcing back her tears. "Dear Lord, I should have protected you, we all should have."

Her lip quivered as she let it form a distressed half-smile, "You would tell me that it wasn't our fault, and deep down I think I know that but I want to grieve right now. You would kiss my forehead and demand that I stop treating Kye the way I am doing at the moment. He's been treating me so well even though he's lost someone, too. I'll come visit you and tell you all about my days," the tone in her voice dropped to a whisper. "Even if you are not here any longer,"