Chapter 27

Haha it's been a while. I'm on summer break but I have a job so my schedule is all over the place. But I am trying to finish this because ive been writing little pieces here and there so now it's just time to connect everything together! Here's the last of the college love before the conflict and flashforward. As always thanks for all your support thro stars and comments ❤️

Around 3am, Arjun wakes up, still not accustomed to the time difference. He stretches over to hug Priya when he realizes the bed is empty. Looking up, he sees the bathroom illuminated with a deep, blue light. He is about to go back to sleep when he hears a soft, muffled cry. He quickly climbs out of the bed, and walks over to the washroom to find his love sobbing into her hands. "What happened? Is everything alright? Is everyone alright?" Arjun shakes Priya, his eyes wide and his feet trembling. She throws herself into his arms and sobs, her entire body shivering. "Sitti-ku..." She mumbles into his chest. "Sitti? You mean Vaishu's Amma? What happened to her? Is she alright?" "Sitti-ku... heart-attack vandu hospital la irukirangal." (Sitti got a heart attack and is in the hospital) Priya cries into Arjun's chest. He rubs her back, holding her tight, and trying to stop his own tears from flooding out. "What's the situation?" "Critical stage. They need to do surgery right now, but need the money first. Amma and Appa and Sittappa are getting it but I'm scared Arjun." She hiccups. "I'm scared..." "It's okay Priya, you know nothing will happen to her. She will be perfectly alright. Don't be scared, please." He says, kissing her forehead. "How do you know? Anything could happen." She steps back with wide eyes. "I-If... If. If If. Amma. If Amma and Appa. Appa. don't get the m-money, in, in, time-" Arjun pulls her into his arms, capturing the pain-filled tears in his shirt. "Nothing like that will happen, I promise you." He holds her tighter until her sobs become quieter. "Now," he starts wiping away her falling tears, "if you're like this, how are you going to tell Vaishu? You have to be strong- at least for her. You have to forget this voice inside your head, you know it isn't true. You can't be anxious now, you have to be strong." He wipes away his own tears before holding her again. "Vaishu... She's going to be so devastated. I can't tell her- but I have to." She turns, walking towards her phone. "I have to be strong," she says wiping away her tears. "I have to forget his stupid vo-" She freezes for a moment before turning around sharply. "What did you say at the end?" Her eyes become wide and red. "Shit." Arjun whispers looking down at his feet. "She wasn't supposed to know that I knew about that. Sorry Kavitha." He thinks to himself. "Answer me." Priya's voice comes out strong, despite the tears running down her face. "I said that you know nothing bad's going to happen and to be strong for Vaishu. You have to calm down and come sleep so you can tell Vaishu tomorrow and comfort her." Arjun replies, looking away, trying to slowly shift the conversation. "How did you know about it?" She's met with silence from Arjun. "Akka... She promised she wouldn't tell anyone!" Priya turns away in tears, and walks towards the door before being pulled back by Arjun. "Listen, don't be mad at Kavitha. I'm going to marry you someday, I should have known sooner." "Let me go Arjun," her voice breaks, as she struggles in his grasp. "You're my fiancee, I know you don't want to go as much as I don't want you to." She drops to the floor crying. Quickly, Arjun wraps his arms around her and holds her tight. "I love you Priya. Nothing's going to change that. I don't care if you have anxiety, and I didn't and won't treat you differently because of that. I will never leave you. Never. I will always be here and help you, like how you helped me today at the CN Tower." They stay like that for a few moments before Priya stops crying. "Thank you." She whispers, looking up at his face. "Keep your thanks to yourself, all I want is you." He smiles, before leaning in to briefly kiss her. "Now, be my strong Malayalam mangamma, and sleep. Let's not disturb Vaishu now. We will tell her tomorrow morning." Priya nods and they go back to sleep, with Arjun's arms protecting her from her harsh and broken thoughts.

The next morning, Priya is the last to wake up. She gets ready quickly and heads over to see Vaishu with Arjun right beside her. When they enter the room, everyone is awake and ready to head to breakfast. Arjun strategically takes everyone but Vaishu out of the room, giving her and Priya privacy. "What's wrong chechi? Was Arjun being annoying last night?" Vaishu asks, noticing her cousin's odd behaviour. "Vaishu, I need you to be strong okay? You're my strong little sister, aren't you?" Priya says, holding her. "Chechi, what are you saying?" Vaishu replies, her face showing the worry in her words. "It's nothing serious, everything's going to be okay. You have to be strong." "Chechi, please just tell me what happened!" Vaishu exclaims. "Vaishu... Sitti-ku heart attack vandu hospital la irukirangal." Priya says, unable to stop the tears from her eyes. Vaishu goes silent. Her eyes well up with tears. "Ammei...." She falls into her sister's embrace, neither being able to control their tears. "Don't worry Vaishu, it's going to be okay." Priya lets out, struggling to maintain a calm facade. "I've already booked our tickets to head back home tonight, okay? Don't worry, Sitti will be fine, I promise." Vaishu nods, trying to calm down her raging heart.

Arjun quickly catches the rest of the group up on what had happened, and they offer their support when Priya and Vaishu finally make their way to the breakfast area. The rest of the day passes by with packing, as the rest of the group didn't want to go on with the day's plans when Priya and Vaishu needed their support. In the evening, they packed into the same bus they arrived in and headed to the airport.

"It sucks that you guys only got to experience Canada for like two days, you gotta come and visit again soon!" Ashok jokes trying to lighten the mood. Priya and Vaishu remain silent, with their eyes glossed over and faces dull. "Ignore him, your sitti/amma will be fine. Nothing will happen, stay strong." Arjun says, taking Priya's hand from the seat across. "And we will be right there in a bit, so don't ever think that you guys are alone." Sukanya chimes in from the seat behind. "We're all here for you," Jai adds. "We will just have to plan another Canada trip when we get back! Isn't that something to look forward to?" Manoj jokes. Priya and Vaishu give a faint smile, but remain silent.

At the airport, while waiting for their flight, the group splits up. Ashok, Biju, Karthik and Manoj went to buy the group coffee, and Kavya and Sukanya headed to the washroom, leaving Priya and Vaishu alone with Arjun and Jai. Vaishu sat on a chair with Jai, while Arjun and Priya walked over to a nearby window.

"Arjun." Priya whispers, turning towards him. "What's wrong?" Arjun replies, his eyebrows crinkling. "I'm going to miss you... Don't forget me." "How could I? You're everyone's favourite." He chuckles, "I'm going to miss you too." "Also," Priya starts, fiddling with her fingers. "Also?" "About your proposal, I really wanted to surprise everyone in person- together. Can it be a surprise until you come back to India? These guys only know about our date, and no one back home knows. I'll even keep the ring hidden until then." She rambles. Arjun smirks, kissing her briefly. "I'll be waiting." "Thank you Arjun," she smiles with flushed cheeks. He wraps his arm around her waist, pulling her in and plants a soft kiss on her cheek. "Stay strong okay? Stay strong, stay positive, and remember that I am always here for you when things get tough. Message me as soon as you land and keep updating me on what's happening, okay?" "Enna Arjun, you're talking to me as if I'm a child," she smiles. "You act like a child, so I gotta be the mature one in this relationship," Arjun laughs. "But in all seriousness, I love you, so be safe and be careful, and most importantly, be happy." Priya smiles with a soft and content sigh.