Chapter 8

The next day Priya woke up bright and early, not being able to sleep peacefully the night before. She was meeting Arjun's parents for lunch at their house. Sukanya had told Arjun that their parents already knew about his love, and that they were excited to finally meet this girl, and decide if she was good enough for his son. They already knew Priya as Sukanya's best friend, but now, they were going to judge if she is the one for their Arjun. It took over an hour for Priya to choose an outfit for today. She knew his family were more modern but wanted to represent her family's traditional values and morals. She finally decided on simple outfit that was also modest. She tried it on and smiled. "Perfect"
She left her clothes out and went to take a shower. After, she got ready and went to the kitchen for a quick breakfast. "Yenna evalo early a elambiningal school mudichaprom?" Manju asks, placing the tiffin on the table. "Arjun oda parents a meet pannapopera! Evalo oru nela pillai illaiya?" Kavitha interrupts, walking in from her morning run. "Arjun kiss panna varaikula, avar Amma Appa mudhal okay sollonum indhu sonaal!" Priya's face becomes as red as a tomato. "How did you know?!" She says, embarrassed. "Arjun told Sukanya who told Vaishu who told me." Kavitha laughs. Manju comes up from behind and hugs Priya. "She's my daughter isn't she? Of course she's this good!" She exclaims. "Hey! Then who am I?" Kavitha pouts. Priya sticks her tongue out at her, and finishes eating. She chooses to ignore the rest of their teasing and quickly runs out as soon as she's done.

Running down the stairs she bumps into someone, and he catches her before she falls. "Hey, why are u running?" He asks. "Bala mama! Are you here to see Akka, she's upstairs," Priya replies attempting to continue running. "Hey, you haven't answered my question yet!" He pushes. "Plus I'm not your mama yet, only after I marry Kavi I'll be your mama! So for now don't call me that, it makes me feel old!" Priya laughs. "I was just running because I'm late, Bala mama" Now it's his turn to laugh. "Oh yah, I heard about your lunch date with Arjun's family," Priya's face turns red again. "Vaishu," he shrugs answering Priya's question before she even asked it. Priya silently cursed Vaishu for always wanting to embarrass her when she hears a familiar voice. "Hey Priya!" Arjun calls from his bike. "Well, I have to go now mama" Priya laughs before climbing onto Arjun's bike. Bala waves goodbye and the two love birds are off. Now that they were more comfortable with each other, Priya sat comfortably behind Arjun, gripping his shoulders tightly. Arjun adjusted his bike mirror so that he could see his Malayalam mangamma while he drove. He started driving and they were off. The ride was silent yet joyful until Priya caught Arjun'a eye in the mirror "Hey! Stop the bike!" She yelled. "Why?" Arjun questioned, curiously. "Just stop it. Now." She ordered. Slightly annoyed, Arjun stopped the bike. "What?" He clearly was annoyed and the romantic mood was gone. Priya frowned at him. "Enna sight addikiringa?" She asked motioning towards the mirror. Arjun's jaw dropped. That's why this loosu stopped him? "Aama yen girlfriend a naan sight aadikaven, adhuku enna?" He crosses his arms and chuckles. Priya softens slightly at the sound of him calling her his girlfriend. He sees this and uses this as an opportunity to step closer. Priya quickly steps backwards, crossing her arms across her chest. "Okay, first, mirror a ippadi thirupina athu danger aayidum! Ethuku pothurukangal? Pinnadi irrukira vehicles a paakuruku. Girlfriend a sight addikiraku illai." Arjun chuckles and rolls his eyes, hearing his goody two shoes girlfriend. But Priya wasn't done, "and girlfriend ah? Appadi yaar sonnathu? Nee innum ennaku I love you solli propose pannave illa, perenna girlfriend?" She says, rolling her eyes with a smile. In one swift move, Arjun grabs Priya's waist and holds her close. "Seri, ippo sollituma?" He smirks seeing Priya squirm, cheeks turning red. "Vidungo! Naam public la irrukirom!" Seeing her uncomfortable in public like that, Arjun lets go, but still stays close. "Ippa solliren, okay? I Lo-" he is stopped by Priya's hand on his mouth. "Aiya, inga paarungo. Love solla vanduthar." She rolls her eyes. "Ingae ya love a sollaporinga? Road la?" He lowers his head and mutters no. "Seri, bike olunga ottavinga?" She asks crossing her arms. Arjun nods defeatedly. "Mangamma, rani mangamma. Romance kooda seiya vidamaatale." He whispers under his breath. However Priya's ears are sharp and hears the comments. "Oh naan panrathu ungaluku annoying ah irrukira? Seri vidungo naan veeta poren." She says, with a slight gleam in her eyes. She wasn't used to this feeling of love and didn't know how to express it. She didn't want her Arjun to get into an accident, which is why she was overprotective of him. Yet Arjun didn't realize this, he just thought that Priya was being too much of a goody two shoes and a total stick in the mud. He saw her eyes gleaming and wanted to apologize, but his ego wouldn't let him. Instead he let his heart take over. He wrapped his arms around her and put his head on her shoulder. "Don't get mad mangamma, I'm just not used to being a good kid, and you have to teach me," he jokes. Priya's face lightens up. "No matter what you are my Malayalam mangamma. And no matter how much I complain, I'm never letting you go. Can we go now?" Arjun begs like a love sick puppy. Priya laughs and nods. "Now stop crying," Arjun says wiping off the lone tear that fell. Priya hugs him tight, not wanting to let go. Arjun kisses the top of her head and they're off.

When they get to Arjun's house, Priya starts feeling nervous. Yes, she's already been here plenty of times, but never with Arjun. "Maybe, we should just go, I changed my mind we don't need their approval," Priya stammers, nervous. Arjun takes her hand and continues up the stairs of the flat. "My parents already love you, come on." He says laughing. They get in to see Dhanam preparing lunch, Swami and Manoj watching cricket, and Sukanya and Shruti watching dramas in the other room. "Priya, va maa, eppadi irrukiringal?" Dhanam asks. "Naan nella irukkiren Aunty, neenga?" She replies with a smile. "Roti ya? Enga kondu vandingala?" Dhanam asks confused. Arjun face palms himself. "Ma athu roti illa, aunty. Ungala aththa Indru solkiraal." "Ah, appadi endhaal seri. Inimel, enna aththa indhu koopidingo, seriya?" Dhanam asks. Priya nods with a chuckle, "seri aththa."