Chapter 9

"You go sit down with Suku [Sukanya] and Suruthy* [Shruti] ma, I'll call you when lunch is ready." Dhanam says, going back to the kitchen. "It's okay aththa, I'll help. I see Sukanya and Shruti almost everyday, I'd rather spend time with you right now." Priya follows Dhanam into the kitchen. The two work together to make lunch, a vegetarian meal since Priya was a vegetarian. In her mind, Dhanam was silently praying that all goes well for the lovebirds. Despite seeing Priya grow up, and being aware of her flaws, Dhanam knew that she was the only one who could be the Swami house's eldest daughter-in-law. Soon, lunch was ready and they called everyone down to eat. Sukanya saw Priya and immediately was shocked. She was so surprised at how natural Priya looked in their kitchen. Sure she came over a lot when they were younger, and did help out, but to see Priya helping her mom like a daughter-in-law? It just looked right. It was at this moment that everyone in the house decided that it was fate to bring the two together.

"Woah Priya, your first day here as Arjun's girlfriend, and you're already helping out in the kitchen?" Sukanya teases. Arjun smirks proudly, while Priya blushes. "I helped out a lot before, don't lie. Even when we were little and aththa wanted you to help cooking, you threw a tantrum and went to your room! In the end I was the one who always helped her." She laughs, while Sukanya frowns. "That's because Akka was always focused on eating the food, not making it!" Shruti laughs, earning a slap on her arm from Sukanya. "Not fair Priya, you're already teasing me like my Anni!" She pouts. Priya crosses her arms, "I've always been like this don't lie. Right Shruti?" "Ahma! Priya Akka was always teasing everyone, but helping everyone and being nice too!" Shruti agrees. Priya high fives Shruti, while Sukanya rolls her eyes. "Great, first you took my brother from me, and now my sister too?! Actually you can take her, she's WAY too annoying for me!" They all laugh, but stop when Manoj finally appears. "Is lunch ready yet?" He asks, rubbing his stomach. The three girls look at each other and burst out laughing again, while sitting down to eat. Manoj looks confused, but shrugs it off and sits down, stomach rumbling.

"Priya, neengalum irungo, naan vaikiren." Dhanam says, bringing the dishes to the table. "No it's okay, I'll help you aththa." Priya pushes, helping Dhanam. The two place all the dishes on the table, serve everyone and then sit down to eat. "Amma there's no meat!' Sukanya, and Arjun exclaim seeing the dishes. "Hello, you forgot that I'm eating with you today? Besides, this is healthier and tastier!" Priya says, earning a smile from Dhanam and Swami, and a pout from the two siblings. Shruti and Manoj take the first bite and freeze. "Priya Akka, Amma, this is amazing!" Shruti exclaims. "Nakku appadi oothuru!!" Manoj adds. Priya smiles. "Parungo, ungada thambi and thangachi thaane? Matchum ondum theviyilla olunga vaiyai moodi sapundingo." Dhanam says digging in. "Vaiyai moodinal eppadi sapadalam?" Shruti asks. Dhanam lifts her hand as in to hit her. "Appa maathiri vaai nelaru!" "Hey! Naan inga summa thaan irukiren, yen enna illakiringal?" Swami asks annoyed. Everyone at the table laughs, and finish their lunch with more jokes and small talk. Soon they were finished, and after Dhanam and Priya washed the vessels (Dhanam tried to convince Priya not to, but she was adamant) they all sat down in the living room.

"So, I heard that you wouldn't let Anna romance with you until Amma and Appa agreed?" Manoj starts. Priya hides her face in her hands, while the parents look at each other and smile. "Don't worry about us ma, in our hearts, you are already our maramaghal." Swami says smiling. "Even if all of us except Arjun already saw you as an annoying little kid!" Sukanya adds. "Seri, then can we go now?" Arjun asks, filled with joy and ready to romance. "Why Anna? You want to romance with your girlfriend?" Manoj asks. Arjun frowns. "Hey, naan enga avanda girlfriend indu sonen? Innum ondum sollala, so technically i'm just a friend still." Priya says laughing. "Okay enough of this teasing, come I'll drop you home," Arjun is frustrated and walks away in a huff. The rest of them burst out laughing, and say their goodbyes before Priya leaves.

Priya heads down to Arjun quickly, knowing how pissed he already was. He doesn't saw anything when he sees her and instead heads towards his dad's car and unlocks the door. "What? No motercycle romance today?" Priya asks, trying to make him smile again. "You're the one who didn't like it." He replies curtly. "Who said I didn't?' She smiles, "I just didn't want you to get hurt." She wraps her arms around his neck. Arjun softens with her touch. "I hear so many stories on the news about people getting hurt while driving unsafely, especially here in Chennai. I just didn't want one of those people to be you.." She whispers into his ear. She lays her head on his shoulder, and he wraps his arms around her. "From now on I'll drive safe okay?" He whispers back. She smiles and snuggles closer. They stand like for a moment, before the sound of Manoj's whistles and Sukanya's laughter brings them back to the present. They quickly break apart, and enter the car, cheeks as red as roses. One would assume that the ride would be silent after this embarrassment, but it was the opposite. As soon as they entered the car, the duo couldn't help but giggle at themselves. "We deserved that, I can't believe I did that, in the public parking lot of your apartment." Priya slaps her forehead smiling. "What did we do? I could have done so much more, yet we only hugged. If they make this a big deal, what will they do when we actually be romantic?" Arjun smirks. "Well, by then they would be used to it, or we need to make sure we are completely alone before we even speak" Priya laughs.
"Shall I make us used to it?" Arjun asks, his voice husky, making Priya freeze. She turns to look at Arjun, who had now stopped the car at a nearby coffee shop. He leans in sensing her approval and they have an eyelock. Priya's breath hitches as Arjun leans in dangerously close. He takes his hand and traces Priya's face. When he gets to her lips, he freezes. He finds himself lost in his fantasy world, where he and Priya live happily ever after. They stay like that for a moment, before Arjun comes back into his senses and leans in. Their lips were centimetres apart when Priya closes her eyes. Smirking, Arjun brings his lips to her soft, smooth eyelids. He gently places a soft kiss on each one, causing Priya to open her eyes instantly. Her lips part in surprise, and her body temperature warms up in happiness. Taking this surprised state, Arjun leans back towards her lips when a knock is heard on the car door. The pair quickly split up, embarrassed, and Arjun opens the window to see who the knocker was. "Sir, you can't park your car here unless you are shopping here." The security guard says. He points towards a sign that says exactly that. "Sorry, uh, naanga kelumborom." Arjun says, starting the car. He drives the car back onto the road, while Priya sighs in relief. "Thank goodness your windows are tinted, imagine what the guard would have thought of us if he saw?" She says holding her warm cheeks. "Why is it that someone always interrupts me in at the worst times?" Arjun mumbles annoyed. Priya takes his hand in between her own and smiles. "Soon," her mind says, "soon, we will be all alone. Soon I will be all yours to love and spoil." Arjun relaxes, and replies inside his own mind. "I cannot wait for that day to come. I cannot wait until I can call you my wife and be with you." The rest of the ride is silent, as they let their hearts do the talking, rather than their mouths. They were both on cloud 9 as they couldn't get their minds off how his lips felt against her eyelids.