Chapter 7

They got to the dance and lined up with the other batch toppers, one by one (or pair if they came with a date like Arjiya) they were introduced into the dance. "So are we going together?" Arjun nervously asks Priya. She rolls her eyes at him. "Now you ask me?! We are literally just about to enter!" "So that's a yes?" Arjun asks, holding her hand. "Obviously, siddumoonju." Priya says rolling her eyes again. Behind them Jai and a Vaishu (who had decided to go together as well as 'friends') faked a groan. "Konja nerum unga romance a nipaateringa?" Jai asks playfully. "Why? Unnaku enna naan romance pana?" Arjun replies with a smirk and a squeeze to Priya's hand. Her red cheeks don't go unnoticed by the group. Luckily before any more teasing it was their turn. "Batch toppers Arjun Swaminathan and Priya Unnikrishnan for Business Studies and Dentistry respectively." The announcer called out before letting them in. Inside the best songs were playing and the energy level was at the highest. With one glance at each other they ran to the dance floor. 'Yaanji' was playing which was easily one of Priya's favourite Tamil songs. Despite being a Malayalee she loved Tamil cinema especially actor Madhavan. Arjun knew this and wasn't jealous at all (okay maybe a bit jealous) and they mouthed the lines together, dancing and enjoying themselves. That's when the DJ announced that it was time for the slow dance. Most of the crowd moved to the side, but Arjiya was pushed to the dance floor by Vaishu and Sukanya. Arjun turned to look at his date for the night. How she was just radiating happiness and love. "May I have this dance?" He whispered lifting his hand. Priya gave a shy nod before taking his hand. They started off a bit slow, feeling the eyes of their friends stuck on them. But then, things changed. The lovable pair made eye contact and the rest of the world disappeared. Their dancing become smoother and more graceful with each stride. Their thoughts were engulfed by love; their hearts yearning to be next to each other. Without thinking of it much, Arjun leaned in with a smile. His hand sneaked further around her waist, pulling her closer to him. To his joy, Priya didn't pull back. Her eyes waited eagerly for what was coming. They both wanted this, it was the perfect moment. Now, Priya leaned in, so that their bodies and lips were centimetres apart. They felt each other's breath on their lips, warm, and inviting. Arjun felt the warmth and mint flavour in Priya's breath. He could tell that she had be chewing her favourite bubblegum earlier, and now he wanted to taste it as well. He wanted that warmth to send shivers through his insides and not just his lips. He wanted his tongue to finally meet it's soulmate. Neither of them cared that they were surrounded by people. It didn't matter for them. Eyes were closed as Arjun leaned in, aiming to close the gap between their lips. Their lips had just barely brushed each other before they were interrupted. "Excuse me, may I steal your date for this song?" A familiar voice asked, tapping Arjun's shoulder. The world came crashing back on Arjiya. They became aware of heir surroundings, thoughts and what they were about to do. Both of them still flushed from the realization, they agreed politely.

"So, Priya, you look absolutely stunning today... Like a dhevathai..." He said taking Priya's hand. "Thank you Subbu. And congrats for getting Distinction!" Priya said politely dancing with him. (Yes it was Subbu who interrupted Arjiya's almost first kiss) While his eyes were stuck on her and how goregous she looked, hers were following Arjun, who was dancing with Sukanya, Vandhana and Karthik.(Vaishu and Jai were dancing together 😍) Subbu's chuckle brought her back to him. "Distinction, I only got 2nd place, you are the class topper! I should be congratulating u!" He says spinning her around. "Oh that's no biggie. Enna oru mark la thaan win panaan. You're so smart too!" Priya says cheerfully. "Not as smart as Arjun tho..." he murmured, "I'm still lower than you, while he's your equal... you won't even give me a chance will you? Even now you're staring at Arjun and wishing I didn't interrupt you two..." Priya didn't hear anything, being too focused on Arjun, yearning to be back in his arms. "Did u say something?" She asks Subbu, letting her eyes meet his. "Nothing, just that the song is over. Thanks for an amazing dance." He says. "My pleasure," Priya replies before turned around by Arjun. "Arjun? Congrats bro, for being a topper!" Subbu says, fist bumping him. Arjun says a quick thanks before turning to Priya. "Priya it's an emergency, come!" He says dragging her away.

He brings her to an empty corner, away from the action. "What's the emergency!? Is Amma and Appa okay? Did something happen to Akka?!" She worriedly asks, her hands shaking. Arjun smirks, taking her hands in his own. With puppy dog eyes he admits "the emergency was that we got interrupted at the perfect moment and we need to make it happen." All of Priya's tension releases with a big sigh. "Oru second iku naan bayandaten." She slaps his arm. "Hey, don't be mad, look around you. Here we are all alone, no one to disturb us" he whispers with a husky voice. Priya's cheeks turn a dark shade of red. Arjun takes this shy opportunity to lightly kiss her reddened cheek. That one touch freezes her for a moment; her fingers flying to her cheek and her eyes to Arjun's. She looks away shyly as Arjun scoots closer, and turns her chin to face him. Cupping her face he leans in. Theirs noses touch and their faces are in the same position as before, with the feel of their breath on their lips. Not wanting to wait any longer, Arjun pushes his lips against hers. Again, they only brush each other before Priya pulls back. Instantly, Arjun lets go and looks away. "Sorry," he says getting up. "No, it's not like that! Arjun..." Priya gets up and hugs Arjun from behind. He turns her around to see her eyes glistening. "What's the problem then? Am I too fast? Am I disturbing you?" He blabbers. Priya shakes her head, hugging him again. Her head on his chest, his arms around her, she whispered "it's not right doing this now. Our families must accept, I don't want to cause any problems." (Yes Priya is such a goody two shoes! She wants to make sure this is the one she's going to marry, and make sure everyone was okay with it before even kissing!) "That's why your parents agreed! You told me yourself that Manju aunty loves me and thinks we are perfect for each other." Arjun reminds, confused at where this was going. "I mean your family." She says. Arjun instantly tries to reply. "B-" "Sukanya and Manoj, I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about your parents, and your younger sister, Shruti." Priya interrupts. Arjun is silent. He looks into Priya's eyes and sees the goodness in her, and the fear of hurting someone she loves. "Then we will meet them tomorrow, end of story." He whispers before kissing her forehead.