Chapter 27 - Back Then

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ CHOI HANEUL ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

After a long day at work, I usually try and relax my brain by reading books. I know, it sounds a bit nerdy but I really love reading books.

It takes me to a different place, a place where I can see a different character with different characteristics and I get to see how they think and how they deal with different situations.

I loved how books showcase that. It makes me feel like I understand other people very well because I have a hunch on what they are thinking and why they did a certain thing.

So as I reached my room after a long day, I cleaned up and sat on my bed with one of my favorite books—Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. I was sitting against the headboard of my bed, so immersed in my book that I did not realize that Heeseung had entered my room. 

And somehow as he did, he decided in his head that my lap looked so inviting. So without another word, he placed his head on my lap, smiling fondly when I looked at him shocked.

It's been a while since we talked about trying again and somehow I still always looked too flustered and shy when around him and I can see it in his eyes and smile that it made his heart swell. 

"Can you read it out loud?" He asked with his doe eyes.

I shook my head at him, "No, you'd be bored to death, trust me."

"No, it'd be interesting." He smiled trying to persuade me to read the book aloud. 

I laughed at how adorable he looked as his eyes glimmered with my reading lamp, "Do you even know what book I'm reading?" I challenged him.

"Well, no," Heeseung said with a pout to which I only laughed. "But I know that whatever story you are reading tonight is interesting. Especially because it's you who's reading it."

━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Why do you always have your nose stuck in a book every time I see you, babe?" Heeseung approached me on the bench where I waited for them to finish basketball practice.

"Reading books are an amazing way to pass time. I love how it lets me be able to forget about reality, even if it was just for a while." I spoke abruptly but now that I heard it, I regretted everything I said.

I looked at Heeseung who was simply smiling at me.

"I sounded like a loser, huh?" I asked shyly as I looked down at the book that was now closed on the top of my lap.

"No, you sounded so endearing, baby." He gave me a peck and smiled before returning to his teammates to continue the practice.

━━━━━━━━━━━━

I bit my lip remembering how accepted I felt when he said that. I usually don't talk about my passion for reading because aside from Kaila no one ever really cared. And of course, being with the most chaotic brutally honest people ever, the guys usually make fun of me for loving reading.

I looked down at Heeseung. He was smiling and looking at me waiting for me to accept his request. I chuckled and read like how he wanted.

I read each sentence carefully, adding different tones to my voice when I read the speech for different people. 

Although I was immersed in what I was reading, I could still see Heeseung looking like he felt so content in that moment, that he let his eyes close slowly. 

My free hand found its way to his head and my fingers started combing through his soft locks. I remembered how much he loved having his hair played with.