Chapter 7: Tower Of Hanoi.

Shoichi watched in horror with Yusaku as Hibiki was deleted before their eyes and Ai sighed sadly.

Ai: And he'd just got back, we sorely needed his strength.

Yusaku: I'll go to his apartment, all we can do now is make sure he gets treated while we find an antidote for the virus.

Shoichi: Right. I'll keep looking.

Ai: Wait, look!

The tornado appeared and Rags vanished.

Yusaku: Rags managed to save his consciousness data.

Ai: We have no time to waste Yusaku, get to his place.

Yusaku nodded and ran from the truck, reaching Hibiki's apartment and kicking in the door to get in. Hibiki was laid, not moving, on his bean bag and Rags was on his duel disc, on his hands and knees.

Ai: #&###** (a/n: Rag's ignis name, read as series of blips and boop sounds.)! You managed to get away!

Rags: I couldn't save him... I thought if I got his data I could revive him... I couldn't save him ***** I failed.

Yusaku: Rags, we need to get him to a hospital. Its his best hope at the moment.

The ignis looked up at Yusaku.

Rags: Yusaku Fujiki, I am sorry I could not protect your friend.

Yusaku went quiet and slowly removed the disc from Hibiki's wrist, Rags staying in the device. Yusaku carried the disc back to the truck and set it down, Rags not emerging.

=Rags Pov=

System rebooting... Running backup drive program alpha... !Error!

"Damn it!" I shouted as the simulation failed yet again.

I'd been trying to replicate my own code, to create a virtual body. If Hibiki couldn't return to the physical world just yet, then I'd try my hardest to ensure his consciousness wasn't lost to the virtual one.

What is this sensation in my mind... Is this what humans call guilt?

I felt my emotional core enduring great amounts of stress, trying to keep up with all the feelings and pain flowing into my own mind.

The odds of her drawing a trap like that were infintesmal, there was no plausible way I should have lost there... And if I hadn't maybe Hibiki would still be...

I tried running another sim, it again failing and causing a flare of anger to spike in my chest.

"I'm so close! Why won't it work!"

I slammed the side of the walls of code that enclosed the duel disc, cursing my own luck.

Luck... Random chance should not play any role in my fate! So why...?! Why...?

I sighed and popped my head out of the disc. Shoichi was the only one in the trailer, Yusaku had left earlier to get enough sleep for the school tomorrow.

Shoichi: Hey Rags, still nothing huh?

"Nothing Shoichi, nothing at all." I said, disheveled.

Shoichi: Keep your chin up, I'm sure that together, me, you, Ai and Yusaku, we'll find a way to get Hibiki back.

"Hmm."

Shoichi: Look, I gotta lock up for tonight. Don't overwork yourself, I want Hibiki just like you but you can let us shoulder it as well.

"I'll try my best Shoichi, my friend."

He walked over to the door and stepped down into the garage.