Chapter 21: Paths.

Aoi sat with Miyu in her hospital room with a large smile on her face, her friend also smiling.

Miyu: So you're actually telling me you've got a boyfriend? I don't believe you.

Aoi: Come on, I showed you the pictures and everything, how can you not believe me?

Miyu: Because you're a wallflower, you always were. You don't put yourself out there to meet people, how can you get into a relationship?

Aoi: I told you, it's complicated.

Miyu: We've got time don't we? Besides, where even is this Hibiki guy?

Aoi went quiet and looked down with a sombre expression, causing Miyu to pause.

Miyu: Aoi?

Aoi: Sorry, just got lost in thought for a second there. Hibiki is taking some time to himself, he lost a few close friends in the battle with Bohman.

Miyu: Oh, I see. That must be hard on both of you.

Aoi: I'm managing, but I have Akira. He doesn't have anyone like that apart from Emma, and she's busy with her own work unfortunately.

Miyu: But he'll be alright, right? Because I really want to meet him someday.

Aoi: I'm sure he will be. He always bounces back with time. I'm sure he will.

Though as Aoi spoke, her voice was unconvinced. Miyu hadn't seen Hibiki, his eyes shrunken and ringed with dark circles, his hands shaking and unsteady even as she supported them. It was awful.

Aoi: I'm sorry Miyu, I've got to go. I'll come back soon I promise.

Miyu: It's okay. You take care Aoi.

Aoi nodded and stood up, walking out of the door and down to the entrance, where to her surprise Hibiki was standing with Emma.

Emma: There she is.

Aoi: Emma? What are you doing here? And I see you managed to drag Hibiki with you.

Emma: And not for lack of trying, I can't believe how bad he looked. But I managed to clean him up a bit and decided you could both go for some food together.

Hibiki: Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

Hibiki gave Aoi a weak smile and the girl nodded, taking his hand and starting to walk down the street with him.

Aoi: Are you alright?

Hibiki: No. But I'm trying to get there.

As Hibiki talked, his hand fiddled with a USB stick in his pocket. Aoi knew that the message Rags had recorded was on it, and that Hibiki was still working himself up to watching it.

Aoi: Hey, why don't we go to that hot dog truck you showed me? We got interrupted at our last date there after all and I'd like to pick off where we left it.

Hibiki: I don't know. I want to as well, just, there...

Hibiki looked away, his face downcast and Aoi felt him flinch slightly away from her hand as she placed it on his shoulder.

Aoi: It's okay, we don't have to go. How about we go to my place and we can get some food there. I'm sure Akira won't mind, he's busy with work these days as it is.

Hibiki: Th-thanks Aoi. I'd love to do that.

Aoi nodded and the pair began walking slowly, passing by a park when Hibiki stopped suddenly, looking into it with a hesitant gaze. As Aoi followed his eyes she stopped as well as she saw Go Onizuka, looking stood with a group of kids and slowly raise his head and look towards them upon feeling Hibiki's gaze.