Chapter 9: Ruins.

Hibiki ran down the street towards his apartment, his phone in one hand.

Hibiki: What do you mean the cyberse was attacked? I thought it was hidden.

Rags: It was, but the destruction of the tower of hanoi allowed it to come out, but someone had already attacked and left it destroyed.

Hibiki: So it wasn't the Hanoi?

Rags: Apparently not.

Hibiki: Then let's get into VRAINS and find out what happened.

Rags: Good idea.

Hibiki entered his apartment and grabbed his duel disc, activating his login chamber and running in.

Hibiki/Rags: Into the vrains!

Hibiki dropped into the network and landed on his board as it appeared below him and as he flew through the skies he saw playmaker dueling an avatar wrapped entirely in light.

Hibiki: That must be the one who took Jin.

Rags: Yes. Maybe he can also provide us with information as to who attacked the cyberse.

???: You won't get to him.

Hibiki turned to see a pair of avatars on duel boards approaching him.

??? #1: I am Byte.

??? #2: And I am Bat.

Byte: We are going to take that Ignis of yours.

Hibiki: Another group after the Ignis. Alright then, let's do this!

Rags: Wait, are you sure? There are two opponents, we can only duel one at a time.

Byte: That isn't an issue. Initiate data fusion!

The two avatars merged and formed a new one.

Rags: They're AI duelists.

Hibiki: Then I won't have to hold back. You're going to tell us everything about who took Jin.

Batbyte: You'll have to beat us first.

Hibiki/Batbyte: Duel!

Batbyte: We shall go first. We summon D-scale Sabre Sardine! Now we pay 500 life to activate its effect and summon a D-scale token. Open our circuit! We summon link-2 D-scale Battle Coela. Now we use the effect of Battle Coela, it moves to the monster zone by its link.

Rags: They're up to something.

Hibiki: Definitely, but why need a monster in the main monster zone?

Batbyte: We activate our skill! When we are at lower life points than you we can activate a link spell from our deck beside the link of one of our monsters!

Rags: Link spell?! What's that?

Batbyte: Three arrows that judge the world! Judgement arrows! We now activate Battle Coela's effect again, moving it next to its link marker. We end our turn.

Rags: They're trying to make it hard for us to use Mekk-knights, then let's bring it to them Partner.

Hibiki: Read my mind, I draw! I activate the spell card World Legacy Survivor. I excavate the top 5 cards of my deck and a World Legacy monster I reveal to my hand, but the rest go to the graveyard.

Hibiki nodded as the cards appeared on his display: World Lance, World Key, World Legacy Bestowal, Mekk-knight Green Horizon and World Legacy's Secret.

Hibiki: Alright, I add World Legacy - World Lance from my deck to my hand. Now the other four go to my graveyard.

Hibiki: I set a card, and since there's two cards in the same column I can summon my Mekk-knight Yellow Star from my hand. Now I use its effect, by banishing Green Horizon I can destroy your link spell.