Chapter 10: A New Foe

Hibiki walked down the corridor at school a few days after his duel with the AI Batbyte, paperwork in hand as he left class. As he prepared to leave for the day, Rags popped up.

Hibiki: Hey Rags, how are you?

Rags: Not that good partner, I think those AIs had a virus or something. I've been feeling off all week.

Hibiki: What? Why didn't you tell me?

Rags: I was busy. And speaking of, we have received a very curious message.

Hibiki: Go on.

Rags: It's from the Knights of Hanoi, they mention they have something that may interest you and are willing to make a deal for your services.

Hibiki: The Hanoi? Why would they contact me of all people?

Rags: I don't know. But I don't trust it.

Hibiki: Neither do I, send no reply. If the Hanoi are trying to pull me into it again, it means Playmaker must be involved.

Then, Hibiki heard his phone ring and picked up the call, gasping as he heard the voice.

Revolver: Very correctly assumed Okida.

Hibiki: Revolver, what do you want?

Revolver: We have need of your skills, or, more specifically the skills of your ignis.

Hibiki: What's Rags got to do with this? And what is this deal you proposed?

Revolver: We have determined the location of the ones who took Jim Kusangi's data, which is your goal. We have also reason to believe that it connects to the ignis and which one destroyed the cyberse.

Rags: Wait, which one? You mean an ignis destroyed the cyberse?!

Revolver: That is correct patchwork ignis. And this ignis is trying to recruit the other ignis to it's side against humanity. That's why it tried to apprehend the ignis by force.

Rags: But... Why would an ignis do that?

Revolver: To make it seem humans destroyed their home, to turn the other ignis against humanity and wipe us off the planet.

Hibiki: I hate to say this, but you have a point. How else would an ignis code be creating those AIs that attacked us?

Rags: So then why do you need our help?

Revolver: Because Hibiki is more open to reason than Playmaker or Soulburner and in possession of an ignis.

Hibiki: Well, I'm not in a very reasonable mood. I chose my side, so tell me what you need Revolver before I hang up.

Revolver: We need to generate an anti ignis program, capable of destroying constructions based around their code. And the simplest way to do so is if we had ignis code of our own.

Rags: You need me in order to to create a weapon against my own kind.

Revolver: Correct. And in return for your services, we will grant full access to our accounts and resources so that you may assist us.

Hibiki paused and put his hand to his chin, thinking.

Rags: Partner, you're not actually considering this are you?

Hibiki: Rags, like it or not the Hanoi have exactly what we need and they haven't lied to me this far. It is a good deal, we can use their algorithm to find Jin's kidnapper and the cyberse destroying ignis, while having largely improved data materials to what we have right now.

Rags: But what is to stop the Hanoi just using the code we created on the other ignis? Ones who aren't hostile to humans?

Hibiki: I... I don't know. But if we don't take the deal, they'll just make one on their own and we'll have no control over it.