Chapter 14: Trust.

Hibiki ride through the skies of VRAINS when suddenly, the wind cut out beneath him and he fell, landing in a cave where the floors were covered in lava, across from him standing Bohman holding Rags.

Bohman: You never stood a chance Hibiki. Though I respect your fire, and so I shall leave you to watch my masterpiece.

Rags: Partner! Help me!

As Hibiki tried to stand, the world seemed to spin around him as Bohman laughed, the sound echoing around the cave as Rags was shattered into pieces and absorbed into the man, who waved and disappeared. Hibiki screamed in rage and punched the ground when he heard a step behind him. He turned to see Jin stood with his duel disc raised and a yellow ignis on his shoulder.

Jin: Hibiki... You failed me...

Hibiki: No... No!

Suddenly, Aoi appeared, avatar battered with no trace of Aqua. As did Yusaku, Soulburner and a boy he didn't know.

All: Why couldn't you save us Hibiki? You failed us. You failed us all.

Hibiki: No... Stop! Stop!

Hibiki then woke up in a white room, a single duel disc sat on the floor before him. As he reached for it an electric shock ran through his body and he collapsed into black.

Hibiki's eyes snapped open as he sat up hurriedly. He had fallen asleep in Aoi's place after she offered him to stay the night, yet the images of the nightmare still lingered in his mind.

Aoi (tiredly): Hibiki? What are you doing up?

Hibiki: Aoi? I'm so sorry if I woke you up.

Aoi: No, I was just getting back into bed when I saw you. Was it a nightmare?

Hibiki just nodded and Aoi stepped off her bed beside the camp mat that Hibiki was sleeping on and put her arm around him.

Aoi: You're okay. Don't feel like you have to tell me what happened, just relax okay?

Hibiki: Thank you Aoi.

Hibiki leaned against her and Aoi smiled softly.

Aoi: You know, I caught Rags trying to code some flowers for Aqua earlier. He's absolutely head over heels.

Hibiki chuckled slightly.

Hibiki: Well, I hope he can focus on the task at hand just a little bit longer. Then he's free to shoot his shot, for better or worse.

Aoi: Yeah. Though since he's based on your data... Would that mean if you met Miu before me..?

Hibiki: I don't know. And I don't want to, you're the only girl I love.

Aoi: It's a good thing Emma can't see us now, she'd tease us about it for weeks.

Hibiki: I know.

Hibiki slowly stood up and crept to the door, peering into the living room where he had left his duel disc. Rags was evidently at work, so the teen walked quietly over and tapped on the device.

Rags: Partner not now, I'm busy.

Hibiki: Coding candles this time? Or just the flowers?

Rags, flustered, shot out of the duel disc and Hibiki laughed quietly.

Rags: So, is there a reason for this midnight meeting?

Hibiki: Not really, I just wanted to check in. See how things are going since our little falling out.